Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Tuning Changes Depending on Angle of the Guitar???

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
I swear, and I seem to be able to back it up with my tuner, that my guitar changes tuning based on the angle I hold it. I mean, I'll be in a sitting position, and the tuner says its a perfect D, and then I'll tune the guitar back down, and the guitar goes sharp. Its a JS1000 if that makes any difference. Is this normal???

Thanks
Matt

#3 ·
thanks, had a feeling it was just gravity..but i wanted to make sure. I just got done intonating the thing a few minutes ago..all by hand without that handy dandy ibanez tool..needless to say it takes a little while without one of them. I definately think i got the makings of a two neutral going on though, which is no good :roll:

matt

#6 ·
You have to slack the string all the way off either by detuning or a combination of detuning and blocking the bridge, it has to be slack enough to control the movement of the saddle, and if it's sharp, you have to be really slack to move the saddle away from the headstock. Move the saddle the way you need to go, aproximately how much you guess it should go, tighten, retune and check. Do it again till it's right. Multiply by 6. A pain in the ass. Look at a clear closeup of an intonated Lo Pro and set your saddles in the same spots and you will get extremely close. ;)

#8 ·
I only noticed that when i made the switch to 7- i'm sure it was happening with my 6's too, but it was probably a combination of being more pronounced from the added mass in the bridge, and sheer dumb luck.

And actually, i personally feel they should be tuned strapped on in playing position, not absolutely vertical. Grab a guitar and look at the way it hangs off you- it's not QUITE vertical, but slants in towards your body slightly. We're probably talking about differences so slight that the ear won't pick them up, but this plus a 98% stable trem might be enough to push it into audible sourness... and if it's an easy fix, better safe than sorry.

I think it's kinda cool, actually... "My guitar's bridge is so sensitive that i have to tune it strapped on, so gravity isn't a factor." Yep, i'm a dork.

-Drew

#10 ·
Hey, I'm probably slimmer than you are, Rich... ;)

Na, seriously, while i'm in no means in perfect shape, i'm 6'0" and 170, and at least passably athletic- what beer gut i have isn't enough to make that huge a difference. Not bad for 21... Rather, between body posture and the upper cutout on the back, we tend to incline the guitar slightly towards us while playing- you know, better view of the fretboard and whatnot. If it was dead parallel, even given the fact your eyes are out slightly father than your chest, we'd essentially be looking straight down onto the top of the guitar and the bass string.

Anyway, off to work on my beer gut. Er, wine gut, this time. Peace,

-Drew

#12 ·
Offtopicis threadus

Rich said:
Look at a clear closeup of an intonated Lo Pro and set your saddles in the same spots and you will get extremely close. ;)
Intonation changes dramatically with different guage strings though Rich, so a visual guide of a low pro might only be good for the same guage strings ? Wouldn't the prefered angle of trem also affect the saddle positions etc. :roll:

.... and to answer the question your about type "Did you read my comment" yes I did. I saw you mentioned "Extremely close". :wink:

Whats the latin for a thread going out of topic ? "Offtopicis threadus" :?:

Tony

#15 ·
Rich said:
That's funny, mine always hung straight and I'd have to peer over to see the board, maybe I need to work on my posture? ;)
haha, you or me, man, and something tells me you're a pretty solid player, so... ;)

I mean, we're talkign slight angle, probably sub 5 degrees, but... *shrug* who knows. between the upper bout thing there and slight pressure against the angle for the arm rest from the weight of my arm, it's just natural for the guitar to angle out a little bit...

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.