Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   JS1600 (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/js1600-158609.html)

Frankhenrylee 01-20-2018 07:22 PM

JS1600

Hello Everyone!

Looking for a little help on a JS1600. I'm going to look at a 2008 JS1600 tomorrow and just want to know if there's anything in particular about these I should watching out for? I think it looks awesome and I've been wanting a fixed bridge here lately. Price is $800 and looks almost mint besides a little mark by the input jack. One thing that gives me pause is that he's the second owner and says he hasn't played it much. He got it used from GC back in 2010 roughly.

Any advice is much appreciated!!! Have a good weekend!

jemsite 01-20-2018 07:30 PM

Re: JS1600

1 Attachment(s)
great axe at a very good price. really like mine.

Frankhenrylee 01-21-2018 11:23 PM

So that was a waste of a considerable amount of time. It's amazing what some people consider mint condition. The thing had a 1/4" and 1/8" chunks dented in on the high e side of the fret board like it was knocked off a stand, a light 1/8" C shaped indentation right on the face, and numerous pinholes sized dots of black that I couldn't really figure out what they were. The ad specifically said it was mint besides the mark around the input jack and I verified that with him over the phone just to be sure. Unfortunately, none of the numerous pics I saw showed any of this. He didn't even bother to clean it up.

I know these were pretty expensive new, and for someone that's going to gig with it and bang it around anyway it may be worth $800. The frets seemed fine, but the action was low and it buzzed a tiny bit. It felt heavy and solid. I didn't even bother to try to talk him lower as I'm kind of a condition nut. It's on the Dallas Craigslist for those that may not be bothered by these things.

Sean777 01-22-2018 03:47 AM

I had a dent or two in the body of mine and sanded it.... hello JS6000 :)

jemsite 01-22-2018 08:43 AM

Sean how much work & time did it take to remove the finish?

jemsite 01-22-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee (Post 1494777)
So that was a waste of a considerable amount of time. It's amazing what some people consider mint condition. The thing had a 1/4" and 1/8" chunks dented in on the high e side of the fret board like it was knocked off a stand, a light 1/8" C shaped indentation right on the face, and numerous pinholes sized dots of black that I couldn't really figure out what they were. The ad specifically said it was mint besides the mark around the input jack and I verified that with him over the phone just to be sure. Unfortunately, none of the numerous pics I saw showed any of this. He didn't even bother to clean it up.

I know these were pretty expensive new, and for someone that's going to gig with it and bang it around anyway it may be worth $800. The frets seemed fine, but the action was low and it buzzed a tiny bit. It felt heavy and solid. I didn't even bother to try to talk him lower as I'm kind of a condition nut. It's on the Dallas Craigslist for those that may not be bothered by these things.

Considering the price these can fetch did you not bother considering it as a player axe (where now you could care less what happens to it)? Sounds like the neck, hardware & overall body is in great shape sure not NIB but isn't that the point of Craigslist? Pinholes are possibly in the mahogany the finish hides tons of anomalies.

Frankhenrylee 01-22-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemsite (Post 1494881)
Considering the price these can fetch did you not bother considering it as a player axe (where now you could care less what happens to it)? Sounds like the neck, hardware & overall body is in great shape sure not NIB but isn't that the point of Craigslist? Pinholes are possibly in the mahogany the finish hides tons of anomalies.

Yeah, I thought about it, but at $800, it just wasn't worth that much to me. The square shaped dents in the neck are really what made me walk away more than anything else. I also didn't get that, "Man I gotta have this guitar" vibe that would've made me look past those things.

If anybody wants the info about it, PM for the guys number.

Besides being slightly rare, I really don't understand why these are as expensive as they are. That's just a $30 fixed bridge. If anything it ought to be cheaper or at least the same as the other JS models. I do love those Radius bodies though.

That oiled mahogany one above is really nice. I do love the JS/Radius bodies though. Probably the most comfortable guitar I've played.

jemsite 01-22-2018 11:41 AM

understood, a bad neck can be a deal breaker bummer. The more rare a signature model guitar is the more expensive they typically are. Sure demand is less for fixed bridge JS models but the sparkly silver finish really awesome vs the JS6 and JS2000 (and JS700) imho the best one of them all yet.

Sean777 01-22-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemsite (Post 1494873)
Sean how much work & time did it take to remove the finish?

I have to admit, its beyond my skill set so I paid a friend who builds his own guitars to do it. He said the hardest part is not ruining the natural curves while sanding. Was $250US for the finished, oiled body. But I love it!

jemsite 01-22-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean777 (Post 1495073)
I have to admit, its beyond my skill set so I paid a friend who builds his own guitars to do it. He said the hardest part is not ruining the natural curves while sanding. Was $250US for the finished, oiled body. But I love it!

Anyone in the USA who can do this for approx. that cost PM me please.

Frankhenrylee 01-22-2018 02:44 PM

Wait, thought you liked that color? HA! The mahogany is great and the JS6000's are pretty tough to find. Does your JS1600 have a slightly goldish tint to the silver? The one I looked at did, but I thought it might just be stained from cigarette smoke.

jemsite 01-22-2018 02:51 PM

love the silver ... mine is not being stripped... it's in the photo above post #2. I would consider stripping a very cheap 1600 as one will surely became available.

Frankhenrylee 01-22-2018 03:26 PM

Perle guitars makes a JS one piece mahogany for $270. Its for an AANJ, which is why I was thinking about grabbing an older Prestige. I have no idea of the quality of work, but he gets good feedback on ebay.

Sean777 01-22-2018 04:28 PM

I bought a JS body from Perle.... many issues.... neck pocket too small, pickup cavity not deep enough.... sent it back, didnt even try a trem.....

Sean777 01-22-2018 04:34 PM

I actually preferred my 1600 sanded to my JS6 (Which I just sold).... here is the 1600 before and after sanding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159662...57688710500346