Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   New to Ibanez, just bought my first one (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/new-ibanez-just-bought-my-first-one-161569.html)

IbaNose 05-10-2018 07:45 AM

New to Ibanez, just bought my first one

1 Attachment(s)
What a fantastic guitar. I have three American Stratocasters, a Gibson, a couple of PRSs and a Telecaster. This is a 2011 S970 that I bought used a few weeks ago. It was really in great shape. The only adjustment I had to do was raise the action on the high e side as the e string was fretting out when bending at the 10th fret.

I have a couple of questions that my research hasn't been able to answer.

1) Are the frets stainless steel?
2) What the heck is the stud lock for? All I know is that it's a second bolt inside the action adjustment bolt.

Thanks in advance!

sepulchrave 05-10-2018 08:05 AM

Re: New to Ibanez, just bought my first one

Stud lock screw stops the trem pivot bolt from wobbling in its threads, this makes the trem more stable.

What's an S970?

IbaNose 05-10-2018 08:08 AM

Thanks Sepul. The S970 is an S series guitar from the Premium factory in Indonesia. It has a Mahogany body with a walnut top and uses the ZR-2 bridge with the ZPS3 stabilizer.

So, when I raised the action, I should have lowered the stud lock until it contacted the base of the trem block again?

sepulchrave 05-10-2018 08:19 AM

In a word, yes.

Don't know anything about Indonesian stuff but it sure is 'andsome! That a JB in the bridge position?

IbaNose 05-10-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepulchrave (Post 1520945)
In a word, yes.

Don't know anything about Indonesian stuff but it sure is 'andsome! That a JB in the bridge position?

Thanks and good eye! It is a JB. The previous owner replaced the stock pickup and also added HipShot locking tuners.

sepulchrave 05-10-2018 08:29 AM

The locking tuners seem strangely redundant with a locking trem, I guess some people just like throwing money at stuff, I'd put 'em on a guitar without a locking nut, something like a Strat perhaps?

IbaNose 05-10-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepulchrave (Post 1520969)
The locking tuners seem strangely redundant with a locking trem, I guess some people just like throwing money at stuff, I'd put 'em on a guitar without a locking nut, something like a Strat perhaps?

Yeah, I put them on all my Strats and the tele. The locking tuners just make string changes a tiny bit faster. It's not for tuning stability for sure.