Ibanez JEM Forum banner

GRX20 with 5 way switch from factory?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BrTex 
#1 ·
Hi, I just bought my first Ibanez in many years (my first guitar was an early 80s Ibanez semi-hollow), a GRX20. I wanted a cheap guitar to store at my mother's house for when I visit one month out of the year (I work overseas) so I wouldn't have to travel with one of my more expensive guitars. Anyway I found it to have amazing playability and sound for the money. There are a couple of odd things about this guitar though. First, contrary to the company description, it comes with a 5 way switch, with 5 distinct tones which seem to correspond to (due to tone and volume drop/increase):
1 Neck Humbucking
2 Neck Single
3 Neck Single + Bridge Single
4 Bridge Single
5 Bridge Humbucking

Every description of this guitar shows it as coming with the 3 way without any coil splitting. I want to reaffirm that this is a new in the box, plastic still on the pickguard instrument, black with single ply black pickguard, with the receipt naming it as a GRX20.

The other difference from online descriptions is that it comes with a non-floating Tremelo setup (bends down only). No blocking in the trem but the base is flush against the body - due to spring tension?

Anyway, is there a version of this model that comes with these features, or did I get get an odd one-off somehow? These are all unexpected benefits to me since I prefer a non floating arm for pedal steel style licks, and play surf stuff for which the coil splits come in handy.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm in the Dallas / Fort Worth Texas area.

Yea I think I'll leave the trem as it is. Tuning stability isn't too bad, but I will install some Kiesel (Carvin) locking tuners ($54) and some roller string trees that I ordered. Also put on some chrome domed knobs from Guitar Centre that look pretty sharp on this guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.