Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Pickups & wiring (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/35-pickups-wiring/)
-   -   DiMarzio Blue Velvet ... I'm in lurrrrve (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/dimarzio-blue-velvet-im-lurrrrve-23867.html)

Jem7RB MK 12-05-2003 09:34 AM

DiMarzio Blue Velvet ... I'm in lurrrrve

Having just recieved this morning from Chris (cheers bro) i've been playing with my custom RG,the neck Evo i reversed ala Jem style and re-wired it to the same spec as my UV777BK

By god am i impressed,But then it did have a ****e Ibanez s/coil previously,all i can say is,It's probably the nicest s/coil i have heard in some time,not overly bright,but very clear and rings well,slight distortion and i can bash out all my fave cream and clapton stuff without a worry in the world,Add more gain and it's a nice little rock number :-)

In positions 2&4 i get some gorgeous split sounds from the Evo's and again the clarity of the Velvet shines through (surprisingly)

Thoroughly impressed,Althou i never really liked my RG custom,as my Purple was my main guitar,this has now most definately replaced it,beyond a shadow of a doubt,i need to update my website,but will take some pics asap for you guys,But please note,there is lots of paint missing as my darling wifes kittens really like the finish too :evil:

Rob

p.s. and thanks again Chris,Your a star :-)

kennydoe 12-05-2003 06:00 PM

again bostering my claim that Iby's middle pickups sound better in the garbage can. Glad you like your new pickup.

~K

Jem7RB MK 12-05-2003 06:20 PM

Yeah yeah ;-) I remember that voiceing,But i have had a few differant coils and none gave me a great clean AND distorted tone ...

I do wanna try and get hold of an Anderson 7 string s/coil ast some point as i have heard good things about em too,Unfortunately with DiMario your stuck with a Blaze s/coil or ... Erm ... Thats it :(

Rob

p.s. Kenny,Do you have an Anderson 7 s/coil in your UV or am i completely wrong and thinking of someone else (as usual?)

kennydoe 12-05-2003 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
p.s. Kenny,Do you have an Anderson 7 s/coil in your UV or am i completely wrong and thinking of someone else (as usual?)

Yep...that's me :D

Go to http://www.warmoth.com
Click online catalog
click 'pickups' (4th down on the left side)
Click on the http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Hardwa...StgHeader2.jpg logo

There ya go. It's only 56 bucks...if they have any left :lol:

~K

Jem7RB MK 12-06-2003 04:06 AM

Cheers Bro :-)

Rob

the.godfather 12-06-2003 05:30 AM

hmm, thats quite a few people now that like that Blue Velvet.
I will defenitely have to try that when I get some pickups for a forthcoming project soon.

I have always liked a "single coil tone", but i could never get that good distorted sound out of one. It just always sounded "weak" and very noisy on high gain.

Gary - The.Godfather

Scott of Actual Time 12-06-2003 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
I do wanna try and get hold of an Anderson 7 string s/coil ast some point as i have heard good things about em too,Unfortunately with DiMario your stuck with a Blaze s/coil or ... Erm ... Thats it :(

i really like the Rio Grande Muy Grande 7 string singles. they have huge diameter pole pieces like the Andersons, and they give a really phat pushed Texas single coil tone that matches perfectly with coil cut high output humbuckers. i run these in my 540S7 and in my 7 string Strat. they are more expensive, ~$80, and Texas is just as far from you as Washington state.

the Blaze II singles are flat, but DiMarzio can do better -- the middle single coil in my LACS David Fiuczynski S7 sounds fantastic, bright and shimmery with high clear output. it looks much taller than a Blaze, but it hums and has only 1 output wire, so it's not a stacked single. i need to e-mail DiMarzio and see if they wrote down the specs on the pickups in that guitar; they're the best DiMarzios i've ever heard.

bduersch 12-07-2003 09:42 PM

I've been a big fan of the blue velvet for quite a while now... I've tried it in all sorts of combinations, and always been really impressed with it...

Alder--Steve's Special, BV, Air Norton
Basswood--2 evos & BV
Basswood--2 breeds & BV
Mahogany/maple--Tone Zone, BV, Air Norton
Mahogany/maple--Super 3, BV, FRED
Mahogany/maple--Steve's Special, BV, PAF Pro
Mahogany/maple--2 breeds & BV

So many reasons to like it... it has a relatively high output level, so it matches up with humbuckers well. Sounds great on it's own. Sounds killer when combined with split humbuckers. I could go on for days... :p

--B

Mandrak 12-28-2003 05:30 PM

Are you guys using the neck or the bridge version of the Blue Velvet as a middle pickup?

And the Red Velvet, any experiences with it?

bduersch 12-29-2003 01:55 AM

Haven't tried the Red Velvet yet. I've been using the neck version of the Blue Velvet in the middle position of all the HSH guitars I've rewired.

--B

Mandrak 12-29-2003 02:13 PM

I though you´re using the bridge version. Thanks.

toshiro 12-30-2003 03:09 AM

I'm using the bridge version in one of my guitars... Of course, said guitar has a Super3 for a bridge pickup. :D

Mandrak 12-30-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
I'm using the bridge version in one of my guitars... Of course, said guitar has a Super3 for a bridge pickup. :D

And a Super 2 in the neck?

toshiro 12-31-2003 12:53 AM

Nope, that guitar has a PAF-Pro in the neck, atm.. Though, I've been thinking of pulling it for a Breed neck model.. :D