Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   De-Tuning a JEM? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/de-tuning-jem-28529.html)

Spinstorm 06-07-2004 04:22 PM

De-Tuning a JEM?

I recently bought a JEM7DBK - I just had it set up professionally and it seems to play great... I have a couple of questions though!

I have never had a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem before or a locking nut, my other guitar is a Les Paul, so I am a bit clueless about how to tune or detune it!

Right now it is in standard tuning, but what if I wanted it drop-D or E flat?

Would it simply be a case of adjusting the fine tuners on the trem or would I have to literally retune the guitar as if from scratch?

The other thing I am wondering about it the pickups... they sound to me pretty similar, my other guitar has EMGs on it (a 81 and 85 a la Zakk Wylde) and as a result I am used to a very "clear" if distorted sound which I can't seem to get on my JEM, now I do have a feeling that it is perhaps down to a trem as opposed to fix bridge the sound difference but I though I'd run it by you all? what about pickup heights? how would that effect the sound and how much would u recommend the heights are altered? Thanks.

wildealien 06-07-2004 04:43 PM

from my experience, detuning any floating trem guitar requires it to be re-setup. any change in tension in the strings will cause a change in the position of the trem, which then affects the tuning of the other strings. it seems like a diverging mess if you're inexperienced, like me :lol:

as far as your sound goes, guitars with trem systems in them generally are routed more, ie there is less wood. i think that will just affect the tone of the sound, and not the clarity of the sound.

it sounds like it's a pickup issue. raising the pickups will give you a 'hotter' sound. you could definitely play around with pickup height as a first fix to find the sound you're looking for. if you can't find it, before you go out and buy new pickups, i guess you could install your EMGs into your JEM?

horstausmforst 06-08-2004 07:22 AM

Countless different tunings are the best excuse for countless different floyd-equipped axes 8)

Jammy 06-08-2004 07:47 AM

Well said! :D

the.godfather 06-08-2004 08:05 AM

Yeah, I wouldnt bother if I was you. Unless you have other floyd equipped guitars to put in standard tuning. All the fuss and hassle just isnt worth it.
Like the others have said, it needs to be totally re-setup and.....its just a bloody nightmare. Thats what fixed bridges are for! :D
Gary - The.Godfather

Nick Lee 06-09-2004 12:30 AM

Well, the tuning I use on my jem is DGCFAD (full step down) with 9s and it's just a matter of spring adjustment.

Or if you just want to go Drop-D, get a tremsetter installed and pop on a D-Tuna ;)

matt_cater 06-09-2004 11:10 AM

i have my RG550 in drop-d. just took about 2hours fiddling with new strings (i use 3 springs).
has been in tune ever since. done 3 gigs, 4 band practices, play at home about 4hours a day.