Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   RGT3120, J Custom or American Master? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/rgt3120-j-custom-american-master-29924.html)

RCB 08-09-2004 11:28 AM

RGT3120, J Custom or American Master?

Wich is the ultimate neck through in your opinion?

Im trading my Ibanez jem7bsb fot a RGT3120TDB (wich arrives tomorrow or the day after tomorrow).

I ve played one ot this guitars and thought it was very good. It feels and sounds better than the American Master I ve played. But I have to admit that the American master construction and woods quality were superior (great quilted maple top, and an amazing bir eye maple neck). I also prefer the splitted block inlays.

So, IMHO, the RGT is a better player and the American Master is a better looker.

Never played a neckthough J Custom, so I cant really compare.

What is your opinion?

jemsite 08-09-2004 11:31 AM

Re: RGT3120, J Custom or American Master?

to me the ultimate "neck thru" is a glued on set neck :)

as you can tell, i'm not a fan of neck thru... glen

ps i'll be curious to know what you think of the tone of the RGT vs the BSB.

RCB 08-09-2004 11:50 AM

Well, I havent tried both of them with the same set up. Ill get a Chance to do so for a couple of hours though (I receive the RGT, and later the same day I have to send the BSB).

Even so, I think I like the BSB tone better. The BSB has one of my favorite tones (probably the one i like the most).... so why do I trade it? Well I have 10 guitars, and 8 of them are bolt on (and the custom neckthrough I ve got needs a major repair to work perfect again). So the only neckthrough I have (and love) is the Yamaha 1412. So I think I can use another neckthrough. Also, this RGT is a 2003 and I really want to own at least one guitar with each of the trems Ibanez has available (i will put locking studs in it though).

This particular RGT has different pups though, a couple of Seymour Duncans (cant recall wich models).

I will miss the amazing tone the BSB has, I m aware of this. :wink:

RCB 08-09-2004 12:05 PM

Just one more detail. The RGT Ive tried was a 2002 model with a Lo Pro. I neve tried one of this guitars with the Edge Pro.

Rich 08-09-2004 12:46 PM

I'd take an MA1 for a number of reasons. I prefer the basswood to mahogany, the neck is much slimmer with a nice V shape, and it's much narrower. Add a few mm the an RGT neck and you've got UV neck width.

RCB 08-09-2004 01:09 PM

I believe the only american masters made of basswood had solid colour finishes. I never tried one of this, but in this particular case, I think the RGT looks better.

I agree about the neck of the American Master being narrower, but I prefer the thicker neck the RGT has. My first Ibanez (the RBM1 and a couple of RG5XX) had very thin necks. With time I kind of prefered the chunkier necks of the jems, and the JPM neck.

The only American Masters id take over an RGT are the ones with quilted or flamed tops and bird eye maple necks. Im a sucker for this kind of woods with translucent finishes :wink:

I ve always wondered how stable those bird eye maple necks were. I m not an expert, but i think the bird eye maple is not as stable as the regular quartersawn maple. Is this real or am I missinformed?

Im having done a custom made neck for an S (5 piece with with heavily figured bird eye maple, a double stripe of walnut, and an ebony freatboard). I asked for the walnut stripes both for the looks and the stability of the neck.

RCB 08-09-2004 01:21 PM

Another question:

Why is it that the american master are so unexpensive?

I believe you can buy a used MA1FM or a MA1QM or the MA3HH for about the same money than a used RGT3120. Am I correct?

This guitars were hand made in the USA, and fairly limited in run. Also the woods used in the MA1FM and MA1QM are better (thicker top and figured wood for the neck). I believe the one I played was a MA3HH with a sweet thick quilted maple top (in the specs listed here it appears as a regular maple top)

jemsite 08-09-2004 01:25 PM

they're a relatively unknown quantity... not enough people own and hype them... hence the pricetag.

i also think the figured ones seriously intrude into the "this guitar shouldn't have a double-locking trem" category... glen

RCB 08-09-2004 02:15 PM

Yeah, Id love to have a fixed bridge neckthroough MA1QM, MAHH3QM or RGT3121. I dont like the fixed bridges ibanez puts on its RGs though.

A fixed bridge should really help a necktrhough to fully take advantege of the improved sustain. I think the RGT and the MAs (and the soloists, and the Yamaha 1412) suffer from all the routing involved in the Floyd Rose or edge/Lo Pro/edge Pro.

Anyone has a clue about my previous question? Are bird eye maple necks less stable than regular quartersawn maple necks?

Wich J Customs are available with neckthrough construction? How do they compare to the RGT3120 and the American Masters?