Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need help with lo-pro trem angle...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ibanezlover 
#1 ·
Should the trem angle be parallel with the guitar body or slightly raised? In the instruction manual is sez parallel but, on some sites they say it should be slightly raised. I'm trying to get it parallel. I adust the spring tension. Then i tune the guitar. Then the angle changes. Then i have to tune again. Is this common to go through this back and forth adjusting angle and tuning? Any help would much appreciated, thanx.

#3 ·
You've seen this, right?

It's common to have to go through a bit of trial and error in adjusting the spring tension and then retuning for several iterations. Once done, it pretty well stays put unless you change string gauges. (e.g. go from 0.009s to 0.010s or something.)

The top surface of the lo-pro edge is angled compared to the knife edges, as I recall. You want the knife edges parallel to the strings, and perpendicular to the trem posts, which means the top surface of the trem will be at a bit of an angle compared to the body of an RG, or even more so compared to an S series. Have a look at the pics in that link.

Also, see this to help with tuning more quickly.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning.htm

#4 ·
ibanezlover said:
Should the trem angle be parallel with the guitar body or slightly raised? In the instruction manual is sez parallel but, on some sites they say it should be slightly raised. I'm trying to get it parallel. I adust the spring tension. Then i tune the guitar. Then the angle changes. Then i have to tune again. Is this common to go through this back and forth adjusting angle and tuning? Any help would much appreciated, thanx.
The "manual" is referring to the bottom of the baseplate, it just doesn't specify that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.