Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Ibanez S470 (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ibanez-s470-35770.html)

Powerslave214 04-18-2005 02:33 AM

Ibanez S470

Any strong opinions about the S470?

The reason I ask is that I played what I think is an SA160 QM (I'd have to go back to that shop and check the tag to be 100% sure), which absolutely floored with with how smooth it played for the price tag ($470).

I like the aesthetics of the S470 better, and I assume it's setup is very similar in terms of neck and string tension. The SA160 played like butter....fell in love with it. But not the color. ;-)

I'm wondering if the S470 is a better bang for the buck than the JS100. I vastly prefer the side mount of the input jack on the JS series, but I think I'd rather shell out the extra $$$ for a JS1000BP if I'm going to spend that kind of money. The S470 seems to be in the same price range as the SA160 and has a neck humbucker, which is better suited to me.

Any thoughts?

pawel 04-18-2005 02:58 AM

Re: Ibanez S470

The S470 has the ZR trem, which I tried and liked a lot. If I was to get a new Ibanez, the S470 would be it.

germX 04-18-2005 02:58 AM

the main diff between the S/ SA series is the body- the former has dual curve design (front & back), while the latter sports a flat rear. the S-series has a very good floating vibrato on board, the ZR, which has an in-built tremsetter so that your action always return to default after a whammy abuse. if you don't whammy, the SA would be better value-for money. new for 2005, is the SA220 which is dual humbucking, this might appeal to you:

SA220
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/SA220FMTL.jpg

Powerslave214 04-18-2005 04:36 AM

I'm a newbie when it comes to describing necks, but what's the difference between the Wizard II and Sangria necks?

btangel 04-18-2005 04:51 AM

I played a S470 for a good 30min the other day at a store while trying out amps with my 7V. The 470 plays well for sure, the trem feels stiffer than the lo-pro but does the job. The ZR trem is definately one not to overlook.

The part about it I love the most has to be the thin/light body design. The neck is a thinner wiz neck which plays fast like most ibz guitars. The only beef I have with it is the INF PUs in H-S-H config, especially in comparison with EVOs, the sound of INFs are cheap laser gun sounding for lack of better words. Definately swap those out. IMO with better PUs the S470 with ZR trems is a very good buy. Or you could buy one with a LO-TRS II and swap in a OFR. Either way I think it's a great guitar for the money.

Personally I prefer a guitar with more tonal versatility so I'd go with an S series because of the H-S-H config versus the H-H config on the SA models.

gephro 04-18-2005 07:28 AM

all i can say is that the sa190qm models are unelievable, i own one and they are pretty good for their tag

ryanb 04-18-2005 07:13 PM

If it were me, I would definitely get the s470 over the sa190. For practically the same price, you get a much better trem and, in my opinion, a better overall guitar. The s470 is a bargin. I would pick it over the JS100 as well. But if you can afford to get the JS1000, go for that and you won't be disappointed.

lyconxero 04-18-2005 09:22 PM

I think that the S470 was the first Ibanez guitar that I totally fell in love with. Previously, I had only played the cheap Ibanez guitars but the S470 plays like a dream and the neck is sooo awesome. I've actually not heard the INF pickups in the S470 because when I played it, it only had powersound pickups in it but was still a very nice guitar. My RG370DX has INF pickups in it and they don't sound half bad. Pretty decent for stock pickups on a regular series guitar, but changing pickups really isn't that big of a deal. And yeah, I totally think that the S470 is going to be a better guitar than the SA190 if for no other reason than because it has the ZR trem on it.

Powerslave214 04-19-2005 01:50 AM

Thanks for all the input. I went back to the shop, and it turns out I was actually playing an SA220......it plays so smooth, but I hate the color and would rather have the ZR trem than the SAT bridge. And I'd love to hear it through something more than the Fender amps they had. Bleech.

Ryan, I'd love to get a JS1000, but I think the S470 is going to do for a "tide me over" guitar until I can afford one.

lyconxero 04-19-2005 02:43 AM

Yeah, I've gotta say that all of the marshall and vox amps that are in my local guitar shop pretty much bite the big one. My Spider II blows them all away without even trying....and there's NOTHING like playing a good guitar through a good amp.

Powerslave214 04-19-2005 03:01 AM

At the risk of highjacking my own thread, I haven't played through a Spider II, but I have read rather good reviews of them.
I have played a JSX, and it does live up to the hype. It's certainly the most versatile amp I've ever played through.

I'd also read that for stock pickups, the Ibanez models aren't bad. That little Fender amp certainly didn't do the SA220 justice.

btangel 04-19-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyconxero
I've actually not heard the INF pickups in the S470 because when I played it, it only had powersound pickups in it but was still a very nice guitar. My RG370DX has INF pickups in it and they don't sound half bad. Pretty decent for stock pickups on a regular series guitar, but changing pickups really isn't that big of a deal.

Compare it with any guitar with evos, PAF Pros in them. The difference is enormous. You'll realize how bad INFs sound. Trust me :P That's the best upgrade you can get for guitars equipped with INF or even V series PUs.

lyconxero 04-19-2005 09:20 PM

Maybe, but then you're talking about going from a stock pickup to a Dimarzio pickup. There's always a better tone to be had, but there's also worse. The INF pickups are a step up from the powersound pickups, but certainly no match for Dimarzios.

Powerslave214 04-20-2005 02:44 AM

You know, if the guitar in the shop played that well straight off the rack, I'd love to see one after Rich did the superduper setup job on it.

Vai_disciple 04-20-2005 05:22 AM

I've had an S470 for about 4 months now, and its most comfortable and reliable guitar I've ever played! The body is super-thin, the neck is the fastest I've ever played and the tone is awesome. Mine has the Powersound pickups rather than INF, but these are going to be swapped out for Dimarzios sometime in the near future. For anyone wanting an awesome guitar at a bargain price, BUY THIS GUITAR!!!!