Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   PRS Guitar (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/prs-guitar-36954.html)

dangomles 05-30-2005 06:07 PM

PRS Guitar
 
Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance

Tom Gilroy 05-30-2005 06:31 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
The sound in my oppinion is crap. You'd have to change the pickups to get the most out of it.

Flobanez 05-30-2005 08:29 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
PRS? Pricey.

gmeanie 05-30-2005 09:02 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
I think there over priced and not all that.
the finish is the best part about them.

dangomles 05-30-2005 09:42 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Better Suhr than PRS? Better Gibson (Les Paul - Supreme or Standard) than PRS? Better a stringed oompa loompa than PRS?

fettouhi 05-31-2005 04:28 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmeanie
I think there over priced and not all that.
the finish is the best part about them.

True :).

Regards

André




the.godfather 05-31-2005 05:15 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.

jeffrey 05-31-2005 06:58 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
I've got a PRS Archtop that I picked up in 2003. It's a fantastic guitar, pickups, setup, finish, everything.

The only other guitars I own that are close in quality, sound and playability are my EBMM JP7 and my custom shop Taylors.

Outstanding guitars. Granted, I don't like all of them, I've played more that I don't like than ones that I like (hence why I only own one). Like any guitar you just have to play a lot of'em to find one you like (just like most Ibanez's play pretty bad to me).

Flobanez 05-31-2005 07:52 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
I've played a PRS in a music store plus, a friend of mine had one. I was very impressed with the way they played and sounded but they're way too expensive.
I'd buy another UV before I'd get a PRS. ;)

dangomles 05-31-2005 11:17 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
wow, those are that expensive?!

fettouhi 06-01-2005 02:45 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the.godfather
It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.

A PRS with a pickguard?????????????????

Regards

André




jem7vwh 06-01-2005 11:24 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangomles
Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance

We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.

fettouhi 06-01-2005 11:53 AM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jem7vwh
We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.


Well spoken :).

Regards

André




Joe Vai 06-01-2005 01:33 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
where is the best place to buy a Prs?

jem7vwh 06-01-2005 02:28 PM

Re: PRS Guitar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Vai
where is the best place to buy a Prs?

As with anything else- it depends on what you want.

Best price is almost always going to come from a huge chain store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Best service is almost always going to come from a boutique or specialty distributor. http://www.prsforums.com is a good place to check for seasoned folks who can recommend the best.

I would also recommend thinking about a used PRS. With their big price tags, these things get babied and a used one is often nearly perfect.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome