Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   80s Rg (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/80s-rg-38985.html)

superhairycamel 08-08-2005 03:23 AM

80s Rg

So i have been told about an rg that this guy could sell for $400 Aud. All i know is that its from the 80s and i think it would be Japanese. How would it compare to the current lines of rgs, would it be closer to the prestige line? Also would it have the AANJ, any info would be helpfull, sorry I am being so brief.

nickcoumbe 08-08-2005 03:35 AM

Re: 80s Rg

No aanj, I think they were about '94 onwards (don't know the exact date).

What's the condition like?

guitarshredder7 08-08-2005 04:16 AM

a pic would be cool

superhairycamel 08-08-2005 06:19 AM

havent seen it, sorry guys, its just heresay at the moment, but if you have any idea of the trem and such, please add.

marianozz 08-08-2005 06:21 AM

Late 80s should have an Edge...

jim777 08-08-2005 11:18 AM

It would be (or would have been) a good guitar, and it would have an original Edge trem. You need to look out for a few things on a guitar that old, though. Are there cracks behind the nut? A lot of old RGs have them, but you should be wary of any necks with multiple cracks or very long cracks (running towards the scarf joint especially!). How are the frets on her? A fret job can run you 75% of the purchase price on an old RG, so be careful you don't get something that is in desperate need of a refret. The old ones had great stock pickups, so don't everpay for one where the pickups have been swapped out. If it has something you love (like EMGs), then you'll pay a bit more but try not to pay for the pickups as well as the guitar, if you follow. A bound neck generally means a 7xx series guitar, and they tend to go for a little more than the 5xx series guitars. All of the 80's RGs have original Wizard necks as well.
Good luck!

jim

the.godfather 08-08-2005 11:32 AM

Couldnt have said it better myself Jim.
Even though I love 80's, early 90's RG's with a passion, you do have to look out for those things. Because its inevitable on guitars that are 20 years old. But when you find a nice one (theres plenty of em around) they are cracking.

I have just picked-up a 1992 RG760 in JB, and its being delivered next week. Cant wait! I am going to neon-pink the parts all up ala a PGM100.

superhairycamel 08-09-2005 03:37 AM

thanks heaps guys, but would the build qualaty be similar to that of a present day prestige?

Dr. Funkenstein 08-09-2005 04:05 AM

I have a late 80s RG570 that I picked up cheap off the bay. The neck's not in perfect condition but is still extremely playable, just a little bit of buzz when you put the action down too low. Original Edge trem, the old V pickups which are supposed to be better than the ones you get these days. Its a great guitar and worth the money. The only thing I would say is about the pickups - the consensus seems to be that the old V pickups are better than the new ones. In my opinion they are all pretty mediocre, but that's because I don't like hugely overwound pickups with reduced treble response. The bridge pickup comes in at about 16Kohms which is about double what I like! ;o) If that's your bag then all the better. All in all a great guitar and it's lasted nearly 20 years without any cracks or major problems.

Regards,

Dave

the.godfather 08-09-2005 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superhairycamel
thanks heaps guys, but would the build qualaty be similar to that of a present day prestige?

Just as good yeah.
Personally I think better. But then again, I dont like new guitars, I like it when they have been used and broken-in already. But for me personally, there is nothing better quality-wise than an 80's RG, or an early 90's RG. Think about it this way......if they have survived since the late 80's, the build quality must be quite good.