Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   What model RG is this? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/what-model-rg-42645.html)

clnh5 12-15-2005 03:59 PM

What model RG is this?

I just picked up a Ibanez RG from a old hole in the wall pawn shop, and i dont know what model RG it is, the owner had no idea either, it appears to be an older 80's rg though. The body is like a chromish-blue color, rosewood fretboard and maple neck (no bubinga strip on back of neck). No RG Series designation on headstock beneath the ibanez "swoosh". Old style neck joint, not AANJ. Black gotoh tuners, black hardware, Ibanez "edge" trem, H-S-H p/u config, no serial number, either that or someone sanded it off. It does have a wizard neck though, i know one when i feel it, lol, either that or a super wizard. Could it be an RG570? Anyone in the know please reply. Thanks!

CrossingStar 12-15-2005 04:05 PM

Re: What model RG is this?

What kind of inlays? Sharktooth or dot?

buddroyce 12-15-2005 04:17 PM

Does the neck have binding and sharktooth inlays? If it does it's probably an RG770 with a Bensalem, PA neck plate that has no serial #

Gex 12-15-2005 04:56 PM

Definately an RG built from 1987-1993.

Dot Inlays?
its a 570 if it doesnt have a pickguard, and is HSH.

Its a 550 if it has a pickguard, and is HSH.

My guess, since its rosewood, is that it is a first year 1987 model, and the serial numbers on those were on little silver stickers on the back of the headstock (which you could peel off, and somebody probably did) It will have the original EDGE tremolo, and a WIZARD neck. (not super wizard, what makes a wizard "super" is the bubinga skunk stripe on the back of the neck, which they started doing sometime after 1993)

How much did you pay for it? (if you dont mind me asking)

I found a 1987 RG550 in black at a pawnshop for $100. . .I thought it was FUBAR but all it needed was some deep cleaning and it was good to go. :) GOD I love pawnshop surprizes like that. My bud found a 1992 RG560 Guitar Center 27th Anniversary edition at a pawn shop for $100 too, he painted that thing bright green, sanded the neck, scalloped the last 4 frets, and cut a monkey handle on it, and its the best playing RG ive ever laid hands on!

Got any pictures? :)

kelmaur 12-16-2005 02:13 AM

GEX....wher you located in dallas? im herre in princeton..just northeast of you

clnh5 12-16-2005 03:57 PM

Sorry no pics yet, it has regular dot fret markers, no neck binding, and i think GEX might be right, i do notice a little, what looks to be silver sticker, in the shape of an oval on the back of the headstock. I guess i forgot to mention it doesnt have a pickguard, which is why i though it might be a RG570, payed $350 for it, i dont know how the owner came about this number since he didnt know the model, but it just played so well, so i had to have it. On top of everything else the guitar was sitting in the back of the store, literally collecting dust, behind 4 other guitars, the owner said he had it for over 2 years, and of course when i checked to see if it was in tune, it still was, but i have come to expect nothing less from japanese made RG's.

So am i right in assuming its a Late 80's to Early 90's RG570?

clnh5 12-16-2005 04:07 PM

Is this helps any too, the headstock is painted black, its NOT matched to the color of the body.

jim777 12-16-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gex
Definately an RG built from 1987-1993.

Dot Inlays?
its a 570 if it doesnt have a pickguard, and is HSH.

Its a 550 if it has a pickguard, and is HSH.

Bingo!

Gex 12-17-2005 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clnh5
Is this helps any too, the headstock is painted black, its NOT matched to the color of the body.

Another classic characteristic of a first year 1987 model.

I think its safe to say that you have a 1987 RG570.

Enjoy.

Gex 12-17-2005 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmaur
GEX....wher you located in dallas? im herre in princeton..just northeast of you

Northeast Dallas, just south of 635 and south of Richardson, east of I-75.

clnh5 01-04-2006 10:44 PM

Right on, thanks for the feedback guys, i figured it was an RG570.