Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   6 or 7 (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/6-7-a-45653.html)

jdshredhead 03-17-2006 12:00 AM

6 or 7

i'm getting a new guitar pretty soon and i dont know if i should go with 6 or seven... i'm finding that the options for 7's are limited whereas 6's are cooler looking and easier to find

lyconxero 03-17-2006 12:33 AM

Re: 6 or 7

Well, seeing as to how they are two different beasts it just depends on what you want. If you really want a 7 string then I'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

jdshredhead 03-17-2006 02:52 AM

how did you guys make the change?

Toto 03-17-2006 03:11 AM

i'm also interested in 7 strings... does it make some discomfort playing 6 string stuff on 7s?

Shredcows 03-17-2006 03:14 AM

for ibanez, their 7 string necks are really easy to get used to. I have large palms but short fingers (stop trying to imagine) and I am Asian, but I have no issues switching from my S520EX's Super Wizard neck (bloody thin, flat, fast neck) to the RG7621's Super Wizard 7.

Well, okay, the super wizard 7 neck is thinner than the current offering on the 7321 but still!

I guess the more important question is really, are you willing to do something different?

jdshredhead 03-17-2006 04:16 AM

maybe ir should i jsst go for a 6 string

fettouhi 03-17-2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto
i'm also interested in 7 strings... does it make some discomfort playing 6 string stuff on 7s?

Depends on what you are playing, the wider fretboard does it a bit harder to grasp things on the low for example.

Regards

André

jdshredhead 03-17-2006 04:44 AM

yeah ..i like bands like dream theater and nevermore alot and their guitarists use 7 fairly often..thats the kinda tune i wanna make

chris101 03-17-2006 08:19 AM

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the level of your experience, if you are a fairly new player then dont touch a 7 string, if you've been playing for about 3 or 4 years consistantly then a 7 string is not that hard to get used to (unless you have really short fingers!). the great thing about playing a 7 string is that when you do switch back to a 6 the 6 feels just so easy to play and you fly along...!

megadeth 03-17-2006 08:35 AM

get a RG7620. slam in TZ7 and AN7. thank me later.

AirGuitar 03-17-2006 08:47 AM

I bought a RG1527 in July last year and found it quite easy to get used to. I actually liked the extra thickness on the neck, and nothing can beat strumming along on that low B :D

I switched the pickups for a Blaze bridge, and Air Norton neck. I dont think it sounds a good as my other guitars, the rhythm is agressive but i cant get smooth lead sounds out of it.

If you really want a 7 then go for it, i love mine. Id like to get a 7 String Carvin or EBMM in a year or so, maybe a bit sooner if i start gigging with the 7 string. (Everyoned needs a backup right ;)).

Hobophobic 03-17-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisstevenson
if you are a fairly new player then dont touch a 7 string

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that statement. If you're a new player, then what you learn on is what you'll be used to. It won't be any harder to learn on than a 6 because you won't have years of playing a 6 to compare it to. You won't be confused by that "extra" string because it won't be "extra" to you... it was there all along.

fettouhi 03-17-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobophobic
I'll have to respectfully disagree with that statement. If you're a new player, then what you learn on is what you'll be used to. It won't be any harder to learn on than a 6 because you won't have years of playing a 6 to compare it to. You won't be confused by that "extra" string because it won't be "extra" to you... it was there all along.

Didn't Mick Thompson say something similar in an interview just recently?

Regards

André

Drew 03-17-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

if you are a fairly new player then dont touch a 7 string,

Rather than getting into it again, I'll just post a link to my post in his other thread where I refute this.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=41

If you want to play DT and Nevermore, then I'd say do it - sevens kill for soloing due to the extra half octave they give you in any given scale position. \m/

Polaris20 03-17-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the level of your experience, if you are a fairly new player then dont touch a 7 string

That's a pretty silly statement, seeing as how playing 6 for a long time then switching to 7 requires adapting, whereas starting out on a 7 requires no adapting, because you're learning the instrument from scratch.

I've known a couple kids that started out during the nu metal phase strictly on 7's, and grown into more capable 7 string music (either jazz or progressive rock) and can't play a 6 because it feels awkward and weird.