Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Off-topic / Miscellaneous (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/13-off-topic-miscellaneous/)
-   -   Best places to start guitar gigs (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/best-places-start-guitar-gigs-61548.html)

newbieguitarmaker 04-17-2007 10:31 PM

Best places to start guitar gigs

Hey, I've been playing guitar for 3 years and I just got a band together and I was wondering where did you guys first start to gig, also my old guitar teacher might let me in with him on some of his gigs if i ask him, should I? I've gigged on bass but usually its standing in for a teacher or some lame theater show which wouldn't have anything to do with guitars.

Thanks

~Newb

waylay00 04-18-2007 02:15 AM

Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Well, my first performance with a band was at the school talent show. But I'm at a precarious age right now where I can't drive, so I've got a couple of more months before I can really start to get serious about a band.

There just aren't many people my age around here into the music I'm into...Everyone who plays an instrument just wants to play punk Blink-182 stuff...Eww...I wish there were more kids into the whole prog/fusion stuff. Hell, I wish there were more kids into just good all-around rock around here...

mi2tom 04-18-2007 02:19 AM

I've never started a gig before, The first thing I do is thicken up my face and ask for gigs, It's hard at first but now we don't need to go asking around for gigs people call us for gigs :)

newbieguitarmaker 04-18-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylay00 (Post 644687)
Well, my first performance with a band was at the school talent show. But I'm at a precarious age right now where I can't drive, so I've got a couple of more months before I can really start to get serious about a band.

There just aren't many people my age around here into the music I'm into...Everyone who plays an instrument just wants to play punk Blink-182 stuff...Eww...I wish there were more kids into the whole prog/fusion stuff. Hell, I wish there were more kids into just good all-around rock around here...

yeah i'm doing my schools talent show, since I finally got a band together i can finally do it, people have been like yelling at me, your the best guitarist in school play in it! hah. Also Tom I'll try and start asking around, first I have to think of a place that has live bands other than like country kitchens :lol: (I'll pull a blues brothers)

Passion_and_Warfare 04-18-2007 02:52 PM

My 1st gig was at a local bar, my first band was pretty heavy(a bit too heavy for me), bordering death metal, the crowd wasn't too pleased at all, but we stuck it out.

newbieguitarmaker 04-18-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare (Post 644998)
My 1st gig was at a local bar, my first band was pretty heavy(a bit too heavy for me), bordering death metal, the crowd wasn't too pleased at all, but we stuck it out.

I was thinking about playing a bar, I'm pretty sure at 16 i can play a bar as long as my like dad came to watch over me or something.

sick-boy 04-18-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylay00 (Post 644687)

Who cares what they are into dude? I say you try to join one of those bands and then try to get some of your influence in. Nowhere does it say that you can't have solos in punk rock. Rancid does it all the time.

LonePhantom 04-18-2007 05:50 PM

Definitely, I always played and sung in punk bands, and have always solo'd too. :)

waylay00 04-18-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sick-boy (Post 645102)
Who cares what they are into dude? I say you try to join one of those bands and then try to get some of your influence in. Nowhere does it say that you can't have solos in punk rock. Rancid does it all the time.

Well, I really don't like the whole culture of skater/punk/emo stuff anyways, and they have specifically stated that they dislike guitar solos. Granted, a song isn't all about a solo, but I just find it rather pretentious of them to say that. They're always saying bad things about Vai, for instance, and all the other guitar "virtuosos". I honestly cannot see myself playing in a band under these circumstances.

newbieguitarmaker 04-18-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylay00 (Post 645209)
Well, I really don't like the whole culture of skater/punk/emo stuff anyways, and they have specifically stated that they dislike guitar solos. Granted, a song isn't all about a solo, but I just find it rather pretentious of them to say that. They're always saying bad things about Vai, for instance, and all the other guitar "virtuosos". I honestly cannot see myself playing in a band under these circumstances.

haha i turned like all my friends onto vai and once some kid was like vai sucks! and my friends are like what you want to go?!? and yes this kid was a skater/punk kid :lol: I'm only a little bit older than you and I know what you mean, in highschool it seems like everyone is into most of todays crap music. I am very open to different styles of music but some of this music is killing guitarists. I think if i start gigging around town and at school maybe i can spread some culture :lol: