Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Axes that compare to Jems in playability (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/axes-compare-jems-playability-64062.html)

Devon8822 06-14-2007 08:30 PM

Axes that compare to Jems in playability

Everyone knows that the Jem is the ultimate shred axe, amazing for speed, each measurment on the next is perfect for that technical style. What other guitars are made for this purpose? I heard the Parker fly is supposed to be good... what else?

Dee 06-14-2007 08:43 PM

Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

There are countless guitars which shred just as good as a JEM, if not better. I'm partial to RG's with Wizard necks, but I have played many guitars which felt better and more enjoyable than any JEM or RG I've ever played. One of those was a Vigier Passion. Probably the best guitar I have ever layed my hands on. The JEM is not the ultimate shred axe, in my opinion. Far from it.

kennydoe 06-14-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 (Post 674739)
Everyone knows that the Jem is the ultimate shred axe, amazing for speed, each measurment on the next is perfect for that technical style. What other guitars are made for this purpose? I heard the Parker fly is supposed to be good... what else?

I saw the title of your thread and immediately said "Parker Fly"...but you already got that one.

My Fly practically plays itself! Awesome

jemaholic 06-14-2007 09:40 PM

Lots. EB Petrucci, Lynch ESP, Hammett ESP, ANY USA Jackson, Charvel,
I like YJM Strats- and they don't even have the locking trem.

But my little 1991 550DY blows them all away. It's tricked out, of course- but it absolutely KILLS any Jem I've had (and that's quite a few!)

I learned a secret a few years back:

Pick a 'good' quality guitar....then YOU mold YOURSELF to that guitar and YOU become one with it and then it'll be the best guitar for you. Really.
There is no secret weapon- it takes long hard work to become a great player and once you've chosen the guitar the rest is up to you. :^)

Dee 06-14-2007 10:43 PM

^^ I'll go along with that.

Racerx2k 06-14-2007 10:51 PM

All subjective, really.

jim777 06-14-2007 10:52 PM

Jackson Soloists are nice guitars :D

David McCarroll 06-14-2007 11:14 PM

Much as it pains me (and I should add I am not a shredder), I prefer playing my Parker Fly or PRS Custom 22 over the various JEMs I have sitting at home - whether they are as good, or better than the JEMs I don't know, they just happen to suit me - the Parker in particular just plays itself - wonderful guitar!

Jemwielder 06-14-2007 11:18 PM

Belive it or not but I've got a Fender Jap strat that shreds just as nicely as my jem.

Devon8822 06-14-2007 11:30 PM

Ok, now you guys are scaring me, because im about to be buy a jem... mybe I should think about somethign else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee (Post 674745)
There are countless guitars which shred just as good as a JEM, if not better. I'm partial to RG's with Wizard necks, but I have played many guitars which felt better and more enjoyable than any JEM or RG I've ever played. One of those was a Vigier Passion. Probably the best guitar I have ever layed my hands on. The JEM is not the ultimate shred axe, in my opinion. Far from it.

interesting Dee... what features do you think stop the jem from being the ultimate shred guitar. I would've thought its neck would be perfect. Nice flat radius, thin neck, big frets... whats wrong with it? I would liek to hear some critisizem on the jem.

OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S 06-14-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 (Post 674841)
Ok, now you guys are scaring me, because im about to be buy a jem... mybe I should think about somethign else?

interesting Dee... what features do you think stop the jem from being the ultimate shred guitar. I would've thought its neck would be perfect. Nice flat radius, thin neck, big frets... whats wrong with it? I would liek to hear some critisizem on the jem.

To buy Guitars based on someone else's opinions instead of playing them yourself to see what suits you best is just plain dumb!!! :roll:
Go and play some of the guitar brands that have already been suggested in this thread and make your own decision!

Devon8822 06-14-2007 11:50 PM

Cant always do that esspecially aroudn where I live... everytime I go tot a store looking for a jem, they dont have one... nor they ever have a Yngwie sig, so theres now ay there gunn have parker or, Virgier or w/e. Im just interested in hear othe rpeoples opinions, is that such a crime... its not like im gunna go and buy a guitar based on what someone else likes, btu hwo can i learn abotu guitars without learn a bit from many different people. anyways, any critisism on the jem?

OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S 06-15-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 (Post 674852)
Cant always do that esspecially aroudn where I live... everytime I go tot a store looking for a jem, they dont have one... nor they ever have a Yngwie sig, so theres now ay there gunn have parker or, Virgier or w/e. Im just interested in hear othe rpeoples opinions, is that such a crime... its not like im gunna go and buy a guitar based on what someone else likes, btu hwo can i learn abotu guitars without learn a bit from many different people. anyways, any critisism on the jem?

It is not a crime! but it is important for you to try out the guitar that you are contemplating on purchasing! any decent name brand guitar when set up correctly and with good pups can play well! yet it is up to you to find a guitar that feels good in your hands.

I own many different guitar brands and have many many favorites amongst them but I would say that my Ibanez JPM's are on top the list followed by my Fender HM Strats

David McCarroll 06-15-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 (Post 674852)
anyways, any critisism on the jem?

I find the JEM a little "generic" sounding (PAF Pro equipped) in comparison to the Parker, although I dropped a Tone Zone into the bridge position on one of my JEMs, and that sounds superb! Quality control is not always quite up to what I would expect, but then again, you can level that criticism against all major brands these days

Devon8822 06-15-2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S (Post 674857)
It is not a crime! but it is important for you to try out the guitar that you are contemplating on purchasing! any decent name brand guitar when set up correctly and with good pups can play well! yet it is up to you to find a guitar that feels good in your hands.

I own many different guitar brands and have many many favorites amongst them but I would say that my Ibanez JPM's are on top the list followed by my Fender HM Strats

mmm whats a JPM?

EDIT: I guess you meant JEM right...