Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Axes that compare to Jems in playability (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/axes-compare-jems-playability-64062.html)

Tom Gilroy 06-18-2007 02:58 PM

Re: Axes that compare to Jems in playability

I've actually been thinking of getting another guitar lately. I've just come to the conclusion that great as the Jem is, it's not quite right for me (that said, I'll never get rid of it). Having 24 frets is great, but I barely ever use the last two. A trem that never goes out of tune is a nice addition, but the time I spend using it doesn't warrant the time I spend restringing. I like the flatter radius higher up the neck, but I think it's too flat at the nut for me. And being really honest, I'm getting pretty sick of the sound of humbuckers in general. So I think I'm after another Strat style guitar with a compound radius. Whatever I get is unlikey to suit most here, but it'll sure suit me.

Dee 06-18-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ki swordsman (Post 675975)
i've seen a few do this, and i still think it's just in need of a neck pocket adjustment. you don't expect an ibanez guitar to be anywhere near setup from the factory, so you wouldn't expect the neck pocket to be setup either no?
(i've seen Rich say most ibanez are in need of neck shims aswell)

and having the guitars well setup doesn't make a difference as many techs and especially(!!) music shops that offer tech work won't even look at a neck pocket adjustment

None of my guitars need neck pocket adjustments. If they did, I wouldn't have bought them, they'd be rejects, as far as I'm concerned. Not all Ibanez necks need shimming either. If you want 60 miles of trem pullup, go ahead and shim it, but I don't.

OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S 06-18-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ki swordsman (Post 675975)
i've seen a few do this, and i still think it's just in need of a neck pocket adjustment. you don't expect an ibanez guitar to be anywhere near setup from the factory, so you wouldn't expect the neck pocket to be setup either no?
(i've seen Rich say most ibanez are in need of neck shims aswell)

and having the guitars well setup doesn't make a difference as many techs and especially(!!) music shops that offer tech work won't even look at a neck pocket adjustment

You are totally right!!! a shop will only do what you tell them to and usually they won't adjust or shim the neck pocket unless you ask them to! so don't blame the guitar just because you guys don't have them set up properly! :roll:

waylay00 06-18-2007 03:16 PM

Yeah, it's best just to do all your setup work yourself.

I still need to get my 770 PLEK'ed in Nashville though. I was intending to do it when I went up there for G3, but Joe Glaser was out of town for a PLEK show in Germany...of all times...Go figure...

OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S 06-18-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim777 (Post 676174)
Well, I like my Jem just fine. I've played lots of Andersons and Suhrs, and I'll still keep the 7VWH. It's the neck, plain and simple. Replacement pickups have already been orfdered, and I don't use the monkey grip too much ;)
I've sold every J Custom I've had, and I've had at least 250 other very high quality guitars at this point (playing since '72). The Jem works for me.
If something works for you, that's fantastic! It does not, however, make it superior to something that works for someone else. To say there is anything out there that "blows the Jem out of the water" is a bit silly. There are guitars that are more versatile, and there are guitars that do some things better, but apples to apples the Jem can hang with damned near anything.

I totally agree Jim! I own many high end guitars of different manufacturers and the JEM's are no more or less than the others! they are just "DIFFERENT"
:wink:

Ki swordsman 06-18-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee (Post 676261)
None of my guitars need neck pocket adjustments. If they did, I wouldn't have bought them, they'd be rejects, as far as I'm concerned. Not all Ibanez necks need shimming either. If you want 60 miles of trem pullup, go ahead and shim it, but I don't.

you must mean 'if you want a more even action across the board, go ahead and shim it' because that's why most people do it.
not all guitars need it of course but many without shims installed from the factory do.

your ibanez's don't need any pocket seating.. yet the high e slips off where other people's don't and you don't want it to be slipping off no?

i don't think you quite understand the basicness of a neck pocket seating adjustment, it's not a defect and it's only as hard as changing a single string.. necks sometimes aren't seated properly, it's not something you can see unless you look at the centering of the strings on the fretboard, and even then if the e is slipping off often and it's not technique related(which it could be too) you could adjust it a lil more if it will give, just to compensate as the low e almost never slips off.
that's what setups are about- getting the best playability out of your guitar.

does it really matter if someone's opinion is your guitar may need adjusting and not have a godly perfect setup? i may be totally wrong anyway, but you obviously have a problem with the guitars and i'm giving you a possible fix.

BigShred 06-18-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemaholic (Post 674763)
Lots. EB Petrucci, Lynch ESP, Hammett ESP, ANY USA Jackson, Charvel,
I like YJM Strats- and they don't even have the locking trem.

But my little 1991 550DY blows them all away. It's tricked out, of course- but it absolutely KILLS any Jem I've had (and that's quite a few!)

It does bother the heck outta me that the MIJ 90's RG550 I just bought on here for 375 bucks feels and plays so much better than the 5 grand worth of Jems that I have.

Actually, the 7VWH's that I have are real pretty pieces of furniture. I play them once in a while, but I just can't connect with them. The alder has nice acoustics, but the second I plug it in, those stinky Evolutions kill it. The ebony board is a little bit better, but not by much in my book. I have a feeling I am going to be selling them off real soon.

My Bad Horsie feels great, plays great, sounds great, but the Breeds are a bit muddy on the low notes. The high notes have a rich beautiful sound (of the best I've ever heard to be honest), but when you play real fast on the lower strings, no matter how clean you play, it's muddy. Rusty Cooley actually asked me if I had the tone knob rolled back. Nonetheless, this one is probably a keeper for me. If I ever sold it or traded it, I'd just buy another one to replace it.

I was pleasantly surprised how different and AWESOME the sound was on the maple board of this RG550 I bought. It has a real "snappy" sound that could be described as "punchy". The notes are really distinct and a sharp and even picking attack gets a real nice accent.

I think a maple fretboard Jem is next on my list and I suspect that'll be what I've been looking for. Yet, I must confess that the Jems, though great guitars, have underwhelmed me so far.