Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   My latest acquisition... (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/my-latest-acquisition-66037.html)

Mo Jiggity 07-29-2007 02:11 PM

My latest acquisition...

The Steinberger Spirit GU-Standard (with the HSS separating it from being "Deluxe," but I like HSS better anyway. No point in using a 'bucker for cleans IMO)

http://uberkool.org/guitar/stein1.JPG
http://uberkool.org/guitar/stein2.JPG

In perfect condition.

This is going to be my second guitar, my first with any kind of tremolo, so now I have an excuse to be rolling 9s (still gonna have 11s on my soon to be "backup/practice" axe though).

It was either this or a used RG550/70 (per my friend/sensei Steve's advice) but since I wanted something fairly unique I got this. The trem is floating but it can also lock in place like the Speedloaders do (come to think of it the Speedloaders are like the exact same as R-Trems except with less common strings...) so it's probably less trouble for a n00b like me than the Edge would be.

That said I love the way Ibanezes play. I played an RG2EX1 and an RG350 and they were positively handgasmic. This guitar is supposed to be as well but in the event that it isn't these puppies soar to $400 and up on the Bay, and since I scored this for $300 plus shipping I can make money on it and snag a nice Ibanez XD.

Any experience with these guitars? Thoughts?

Salamander In The Sun 07-29-2007 02:14 PM

Re: My latest acquisition...

That is bad ASS!

Sweet find. Congratulations! :)

The Transtrem is so awesome.

Dee 07-29-2007 02:15 PM

Cool. I love Steinberger.

Lefty Robb 07-29-2007 02:27 PM

just do yourself a favor and change out those POS pickups..

Salamander In The Sun 07-29-2007 02:30 PM

Is that one of the Music Yo Steinberger's?

Mo Jiggity 07-29-2007 02:31 PM

@Robb:

Indeed that is the plan. I'm going for some GFS pickups. However a quick question: If I want to swap out the humbucker and the single coils, does that entail buying like a bridge humbucker and a strat pickup set and not using the strat bridge pickup?

@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately. TransTrem-equipped ones run into the thousands and a 15-year-old can't afford that XD. Had a hard enough time convincing my parents to let my buy a guitar in the first place despite having MORE than enough money for it, and even tougher to get em to believe that you can have more than one.

"Gee Mom, why do you have more than one pair of shoes?"
"BE QUIET I TRANSCEND LOGIC!"

**EDIT: Yes Salamander, it is.

Salamander In The Sun 07-29-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Jiggity (Post 696858)
@Robb:

Indeed that is the plan. I'm going for some GFS pickups. However a quick question: If I want to swap out the humbucker and the single coils, does that entail buying like a bridge humbucker and a strat pickup set and not using the strat bridge pickup?

@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately. TransTrem-equipped ones run into the thousands and a 15-year-old can't afford that XD. Had a hard enough time convincing my parents to let my buy a guitar in the first place despite having MORE than enough money for it, and even tougher to get em to believe that you can have more than one.

"Gee Mom, why do you have more than one pair of shoes?"
"BE QUIET I TRANSCEND LOGIC!"

**EDIT: Yes Salamander, it is.

Yeah, I didn't think it was an actual, super awesome Steinberger.

That's not to suggest that it's not a killer axe, though.

What kind of bridge is it? Is it a copy of a Transtrem?

Hey, do you wanna see something funny?

Mo Jiggity 07-29-2007 02:49 PM

It's an R-Trem, which is a redesign much unlike the Trans or S Trems. It's basically just a roller knife-edge tremolo that you can lock a-la the S-Trems.

Sure I'll see something funny.

Salamander In The Sun 07-29-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Jiggity (Post 696870)
It's an R-Trem, which is a redesign much unlike the Trans or S Trems. It's basically just a roller knife-edge tremolo that you can lock a-la the S-Trems.

Sure I'll see something funny.

Oh, I see.

Email Ed Roman and tell him that your korean wife bought you a Steinberger from Music Yo, and that it's the greatest guitar you've ever played. Trust me, it's a hoot! I've harassed him quite a few times from different emails, and it never gets old.

:lol:

Dee 07-29-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Jiggity (Post 696858)
@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately.

It wasn't me who suggested it was a TransTrem. I know it's a Steinberger Spirit, and they are good guitars. Well worth the money.

David McCarroll 07-29-2007 08:18 PM

I think StewMac sell the GFS pickups as individual items, no?

Nice guitar you got there!

RG_FANMAN 07-29-2007 08:52 PM

Didn't the one guitarist (not Chuck) from Death play something similar? At least, in the vid for Lack of Comprehension?

Mo Jiggity 07-29-2007 10:05 PM

Sorry Dee, did the @ thing wrong XD Was looking at your name.

And @David you can just buy GFS pups from guitarfetish.com individually for around $30 a pop.

Salamander In The Sun 07-29-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RG_FANMAN (Post 697061)
Didn't the one guitarist (not Chuck) from Death play something similar? At least, in the vid for Lack of Comprehension?

Yeah, he played a marble finished Steinberger.

Chuck played his secksi Stealth.

Mo Jiggity 07-29-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun (Post 696876)
Oh, I see.

Email Ed Roman and tell him that your korean wife bought you a Steinberger from Music Yo, and that it's the greatest guitar you've ever played. Trust me, it's a hoot! I've harassed him quite a few times from different emails, and it never gets old.

:lol:

I sent him an email. A polite one though.

Basically it just details my "befuddlement" with some of his philosophies, tells him that I bought a MusicYo Steinberger, tells him how I pretty much have to use GC because of local shops around here being lacking, and then asks him how the shop move is going.