Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   Neck joint stress cracks? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/neck-joint-stress-cracks-76462.html)

heffergm 04-21-2008 03:56 PM

Neck joint stress cracks?

Wondering how common neck joint stress cracks are in JS's? Because mine's developed one and I'm wondering how much I should be worried. The neck is not bolted on too tight, but I haven't had it off to check to see if it's just the paint or not.

ryanb 04-21-2008 06:43 PM

Re: Neck joint stress cracks?

-- It's in the wood, not just the finish
-- It's fairly common ... at least for certain years
-- Nothing to worry about

Darin 04-22-2008 12:35 AM

Rich will step in the room soon and take care of this question.... ;)

Rich 04-22-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanb (Post 814533)

It was pretty much covered ;)

Basswood, and plate joint, much more common, but can happen to any of them. I have a JS1 right now where it's wrapped 4" around and down the back, and still tight and stable. They are what they are, why worry?

Passion_and_Warfare 04-22-2008 03:39 AM

While were here, Rich was it common for 2007 JS1200's to have small NJFC's?

Rich 04-22-2008 03:55 AM

It is not common for a JS, but I reject about 1 in 6/7/8 something that show up at the dealer with a short one. MO, it's the TJC case, even after the redesign.

Passion_and_Warfare 04-22-2008 03:59 AM

That's what case mine was sent in, and it turned up with a small NJFC, about 1.5mm. Dealer said there was quite a few 07 models with simillar problems.

modal 04-22-2008 12:24 PM

Passion_and_Warfare, can you post a pic or 2 of it please?

Darin 04-24-2008 03:15 AM

What do you think could be done differently to resolve the problem from the factory/manufacturing? Is it body design, or the wood going through seasonal type changes, or.....

Is this most common with JS's?

dogismycopilot 05-19-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanb (Post 814533)

Yes to all except the first one.

Mine has cracks on both sides, but its definitely not in the wood. The cracks are too small and the finish is harder than the wood, making is more brittle and easier to break. It would be hard for me to believe that this also crack the wood, seeing as i have never dropped it, shipped it, or done anything to cause it to crack.

But of course, it depends on how brutal you are with it.

Rich 05-19-2008 09:53 PM

Yes to all, including the first. Not every single one may be, but it's far more realistic to assume they are than try to justify they aren't.

P. Aaron 05-24-2008 03:58 PM

Gotta 11-07 JS1200. So far still good even after serious gigging and full-time use.