Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   New guitar search... (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/new-guitar-search-77241.html)

lttoler 05-10-2008 12:40 PM

New guitar search...

I am looking for a new guitar, mainly for recording as of right now. What I want is something with 2 humbuckers, double cutaway, not too thin of a neck, and a fixed bridge. I don't really have a budget, but I don't wanna go too high. I can get into the Fender Fat Strats either that I tried. Anyone got any suggestions???

jazzedout 05-10-2008 01:29 PM

Re: New guitar search...

Carvin?

SeanB 05-10-2008 01:50 PM

How about the JS1600?

Matheau 05-10-2008 03:42 PM

It's a really kind of vague description. There are a lot of double cutaway guitars with two humbuckers and fixed bridges, it's a pretty standard guitar style, it actually describes most of Schecter's guitars and quite a few ESP models and a good chunk of B. C. Rich guitars and etc, etc. Necks are very subjective, so it is hard to say what you think is "too thin."

humpy 05-10-2008 06:55 PM

What about a Les Paul double cutaway?

CityofBlindingLights 05-10-2008 10:13 PM

Take a look at Charvels, I really like their stuff.

michblanch 05-11-2008 10:50 AM

Have one built.
I am having a custom built in Florida to the specs that I want. Pictures will be posted as soon as it is completed.

Customs seem expensive, but they are well worth the investment. And if you shop around you can save some money.

Let me know if you want the name of my builder.
He just completed 3 customs for a person who didn't want to take his vintage guitars on tour.

Darin 05-11-2008 11:21 AM

I 2nd the JS. The versitility in tone in unsurpasseed. Easy player too.

Mawo 05-11-2008 12:13 PM

AR 2000

Fabio 05-11-2008 12:59 PM

Uh.. a Jem with a Les Paul-neck and blocked tremolo?

Just trying to stay true to the hood, Jemsite4life! *Holla*

rvai 05-11-2008 10:28 PM

lol, a prs? or a carvin, both make beautiful guitars

wildchild247 05-11-2008 11:31 PM

how about the schecter c series line up or maybe some of the esp ltds

they have nice necks that are not too skinny and most of them come with EMGs or Seymour Duncans

Petie 05-12-2008 12:31 AM

Jem77brmr_owner 05-22-2008 07:11 PM

You said

"mainly for recording as of right now"
and
"low budget"

For recording the important thing is the pickups. Only them
1 You take one crappy guitar that you really like the action of it. One that your comfortable with!

2 You buy pickups for the sound your looking for ( some pickups have a metal sound.. other a buttery one etc.: active passive etc.) ( between 100$ a 300$, the price did not represent perfectly there quality, depend on the sound you are looking for.) You even might try to check for used pickups on local website.

3 You go to a professional luthier and pay him 50$ to change the pickups.

You will have a perfectly fit for you and your style studio guitar for peanuts!

varador 05-23-2008 09:34 PM

Jackson SLSMG

some Les Paul?

Charvel Model series... but you won't find one with a fixed bridge and two humbuckers...

buying a cheap guitar and hotrodding it with expensive pickups will never get you as good of a sound as a more expensive and well-built guitar... There are other construction and quality considerations that significantly affect tone from the guitar e.g. fret quality, fretboard, bridge quality, tuner quality, nut, electronics (aside from pickups)...

The good news is that a well-built guitar isn't necessarily expensive... A Charvel Model 1, 1 bridge humbucker, fixed bridge, and all badass awesome playability should only set you back between $100-$200. You could get the more expensive Charvels with more advanced electronics layouts (S-S-H, mini-toggles for pickup switches, tone knob, mid-boost, active electronics) like a Model 4 (bolt-on) or Model 6, those should go $400-$600. Back in the late 80s they sold for around $900 which in today's US dollars is around $1600 so you're getting a hell of a deal with them.

And I can testify myself, having acquired a Charvel Model 4 in February of this year... awesome guitar. :D