Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  NiCkMiLnE 
#1 ·
Ok so I've been saving some cash to get a really pimped out guitar. Originally I wanted a Jem, and still do eventually, but I think for now I'm gonna get a custom carvin. It's more pimped out but cheaper, and although I love floating bridges I would rather get really good at just a fixed bridge before I try to start doing whammy bar stuff like Vai.

Anyway, I bought an RG1570 for while I wait to have enough for the carvin. ( and after I've already got it.. The RG is actually a really really nice guitar. Found it used for a good price and decided to get it. )

So I was thinking... The RG1570 feels great, and has the exact same bridge as a Jem. If I bought the set of Evo pickups from DiMarzio, how would the RG compare to a jem as far as the sound? Like I said I really want a Jem but I just don't think I can justify spending that much on a guitar I can't fully wield yet, but if I put Evos in the RG maybe it would be like a less expensive Jem? What you guys think?

#3 ·
Yeah I knew they were different wood styles... Basswood is cheaper i know too.. But I mean theyre pretty similar so.

The Evo 2 is only a bridge pickup if I remember correctly though, so would I get an Evo 2 bridge and an Evo neck then? And the *imitation* Evo middle pickup?

#22 ·
I wouldn't totally go and say that right away. Basswood may be cheaper, but likewise Rosewood is cheaper than Ebony and I'm still seeing Rosewood on many a high-end Ibanez.

That being said Basswood is used on a lot of high end guitars. It's a great tonewood. The problem is that it's soft and dents easily. It's also neutral sounding, and not as bright as alder... But if you throw Evolution pickups in there you're not going to hear the difference. Evolutions tend to make many guitars sound the same, at least in my opinion. They're amazing pickups, too. Really great tone if you're into that style of shred. Personally I didn't like the Evo2's, the Evo's were better because of the output. I'd take a Super Distortion over an Evo2, but I would take the original Evolution over a Super Distortion.

So in the end: Will you have a cheap JEM? Pretty much, yeah. There will be the obvious differences, but as long as the guitar plays and feels beautifully, then you're in. You have to remember there's still tons of professional guitarists running around wielding the original RG570, the one that you can pick up for 300 on the 'bay, even though they have the finances and label backing to afford any expensive guitar they want. As amazing JEM's are, they're still a bit of a status symbol and not life changing. The RG1570 isn't a cheap guitar at all. It's 'up there' and can certainly compete, and you don't have to sit around worrying about EVERY spec matching... Sometimes it's better to have something more unique. You might even prefer the middy EQ of basswood.

#4 ·
Hey dude, I was a Evolution user, and I never liked the tone of them.
Although the harmonics were great, the sound was somewhat nasal, dunno explain.
Maybe the output is just too high.
IMO, the clean sound of them are just horrible, unless you mix with the single coil.
Pups with less output sound better to my ears.

#5 ·
I know the Evo's are pretty harsh and loud, but I like the sound of them. I'm really wondering about the pickups I'm wondering what kinda of difference there will be in the sound by putting them in an RG1570 instead of a Jem. Like will the Harmonics be as good will it have the same tone etc.

Also what about breeds?

#6 ·
Breeds are more "Les Paul", some people like to say they have a more "classic" humbucker sound.
I don't know 'em very well, but from what I've heard, they may sound muddy sometimes.
The sound is beautiful, though.

You should consider the kind of music you like to play.
Will you use some cranked up distortion?
Cean sounds?
Basic overdrives?
Each pup has a different response to where you put on them.

#9 ·
I have a set of Evo's in my RG570, and they sound amazing. You can get a really glassy tone out of them for the fusion type stuff, as well as a great crunch tone for older rock. In fact, I've found them to be extremely versatile all across the boards. And in regards to the comment about the PAF's, I've had those in it as well and they sounded great, they just weren't quite hot enough for my taste.

#10 ·
I've got Evo' s in an RG550 amd in the JEM10 which are both basswood. These are my favourite sounding guitars, period. They're the sonic benchmark I measure all others with for distorted tones. Other folks think they're sterile and nasal and so on. Me? I love 'em.

#21 ·
It's typically regarded as giving an even brighter tone :D

I think it also depends a lot on what amp you're working with. I tend to use Mesa/Boogies which I think work very well with the Evo pickups, they can sound a bit full and dark but the Evo's really add to the sound :)

#16 ·
I have an Evo bridge in my RG2570 and it sounds amazing, in a jem I like them more for certain applications but the basswood mellows the tone a little which gives it a really nice tone
I haven't tried an Evo Neck or Middle, right now I have a an air norton neck and Im putting in a chopper for the middle.

#17 ·
In response to original poster:

Well, it wouldn't sound exactly like a VWH because a VWH is alder, as stated.

However, you COULD go for a JEM77VBK-type tone. It's a basswood body, so it's more like your RG1570. The JEM7VBK has Breeds in it, so you could go with those. Personally, I'm not a fan of Evo pickups in a basswood RG (neither are a lot of people), but the Breeds on the other hand sound amazing in that type of guitar!

I'd give them a shot. They aren't as piercing or "harsh" (some would say) as the Evos, but they have a really nice, warm tone, almost like a PAF Pro but a little fatter.

What amp are you playing through? That could make a difference.

#19 ·
Right now I'm playing through just a little 10 watt marshall combo amp, but in a few months I'm getting a carvin V3 and a 4 x 12 cab with vintage 30 celestions.

And I checked out The Breed pickups quite a bit, I had considered the fact that the Evo's were maybe a bit too piercing, and The Breeds I thought sounded great, but I though they sounded more like slower fusion or rock ballad stuff which I play none of... And I've heard them used for plenty of other stuff, but like someone posted before the basswood might mellow out the Evo's a bit... So I figure if I use Evo's in my RG1570 with basswood maybe turn up the bass and mid a bit on the amp I'm playing I could get something usable for classic rock or other things instead of just piercing fusion stuff.

I saw a guy play some Van Halen ( Classic rock, obviously ) on youtube, and he was using an Evo in a squire strat ( which is indeed basswood )... And it sounded excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.