Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/10-things-you-wish-you-knew-about-guitars-before-you-bought-one-84770.html)

Ava 12-14-2008 08:15 AM

10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.)

Hi, I'm Ava, the blog moderator for Jemsite's newest community blog. I've been asked to write a short blog post for another blog on 10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One) and I'd like to turn into a Jemsite user-friendly concept. (10 Things Jemsite Users Wish They Knew about Guitars (Before They Bought One.)

I wanted to make it informative, funny, and witty. So I'm asking the experts! What's one or two things you guys would you guys put on this list? If I use it, I'll try to give you credit in the post.

Thanks,
Ava

humpy 12-16-2008 03:09 AM

Re: 10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.)

1/ More expensive isn't necessarily better... but it's a good start.
2/ The guitar you did your best Pete Townsend impersonation with would be worth quite a bit more 25 years on... had it still been in one piece.
3/ Strat or Les Paul... pick one!
4/ Locking tremolo systems aren't just for dive bombs.

psychoshredder 12-16-2008 03:20 AM

for me, it's always back to your self.
know your own stuff, your style, your own music.

others are just for references.

by buying a JEM does not mean that the guitar would help you to be the next Vai.
but if you want something that sounds like Vai, the Jem is a good start.

rob777vdy 12-16-2008 06:43 AM

theres 2 threads about this.ill dellete this one

ColinMmmmm 12-16-2008 11:15 AM

I wish I knew how much of a difference neck profile made . . . and how much I'd love strats.

Dantesstudio 12-16-2008 09:29 PM

1. Don't buy off the internet, every piece of wood will sound different.
2. Just because it says Gibson or Fender doesnt mean it is good.
3. Everyone is different don't base everything of reviews on the internet (or forms lol)

bastrdgtr 12-20-2008 07:59 PM

Just because Carvin tells you that a 7 string licensed floyd rose is just as good as an Original doesn't mean it is.

TAorama 12-21-2008 06:16 PM

I wish I'd have known we had a blog. Wonder what else I don't know... (Only funny to people in Cox Cable areas)

DEADTUNES666 12-21-2008 06:40 PM

Massive amounts of drugs don't actually help you become better...:)

Petie 12-21-2008 07:37 PM

This one doesn't really apply to me and I'll explain why in a second, but...

* Don't be afraid of your guitar.

I've always been a tinkerer, and even going back to when I was 12 years old and got my first electric guitar, my dad and I took it apart to see how it worked. I was never scared to tweak it or change my guitar to make it play and sound better. But I've met guys who are terrified of their own guitars - people who are frightened to bend a string too far, or to go wild on the whammy bar, or who cradle the pickup selector with a look of absolute panic, like if they're too rough with it the entire guitar will fall apart in their hands, and whose playing sounds timid and weak as a result. You serve your music better if you are able to forget about worrying about your guitar.