Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   Differences between JEM, PGM and JPM - Only pu`s (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/differences-between-jem-pgm-jpm-only-pu%60s-933.html)

MrNiceguy87 02-03-2002 06:46 AM

Differences between JEM, PGM and JPM - Only pu`s

Is there a big diference??
I think the necks is a little different and not the same pu's but other than that, how different are they??

jono 02-03-2002 07:32 AM

Differences between JEM, PGM and JPM

I think the answer to this question is very dependant upon the scope with which you're talking.

Admittedly there's obviously not nearly as much difference between these different Ibanez signature models as there is say between a Strat and a Les Paul, but there are marked differences between them.

The PGM and the JPM have very different shaped necks with the traditional JEM's shape sitting in the middle.

The different placement of the switch and controls gives each guitar a distinct feel in that respect too. The JEM has the most traditional and imho intuitive system whereas the JPM has everything very much immediately available. to me the PGM has controls that sit out of the way with no chance of changing a setting by accident.

The overall feel of the playing position is different between the JEM and the other, I think mostly due to the presence of the pickguard on the JEM which raises the playing position slightly. I also seem to find that the JPM has a different neck angle to the others, but this might just be shimming onthe individual JPM guitars I've played.

Hope that helps a little.

jem7vwh 02-04-2002 02:51 PM

lots of little stuff. *

the JPM has a H-H config while the JEM & PGM have H-S-H configs

the JPM and the JEM and the PGM have different neck profiles

stylistically they're different too (colors, designs).

the PGM is only available in a TRS trem version in the states while the JEM and JPM have LO PRO EDGE

They all have recessed trems, but only the JEM has the Lions Claw (deeper route)

Only the JEM has a pickguard

Only the JEM (7 series) are front routed.

MrNiceguy87 02-04-2002 04:19 PM

Why does the JEM just seem..BETTER??? I know the PGM is pretty good to, any pros. about it against the JEM???

Polaris20 02-04-2002 04:44 PM

I think that all Ibanezes except the PGM have the volume knob way too close to where ya pick, which is why the first thing I do is get rid of the tone control since i don't use it, and I move the volume there, and fill up the hole that is left there.

Maybe that's just my sloppy technique though.

caprile 02-04-2002 06:56 PM

well i would say a real PGM is a hardtail. you can't compare a PGM30 (which is all you can get in most places in the world) to a jem or JPM or JS.

jono 02-04-2002 07:32 PM

Quote:

caprile on 6:56 pm on Feb. 4, 2002
well i would say a real PGM is a hardtail. *
I think that's cool, cos when I think of a PGM I still think of the original PGM100 and PGM300 which were pretty much very JEM like, Lo-Pro/Edge trem and all:)

I think its interesting that folks associate different guitars with a player :) Or maybe I'm just getting old ;)

MrNiceguy87 02-05-2002 02:54 AM

Quote:

jono on 7:32 pm on Feb. 4, 2002
Quote:

caprile on 6:56 pm on Feb. 4, 2002
well i would say a real PGM is a hardtail. *
I think that's cool, cos when I think of a PGM I still think of the original PGM100 and PGM300 which were pretty much very JEM like, Lo-Pro/Edge trem and all:)

I think its interesting that folks associate different guitars with a player :) Or maybe I'm just getting old ;)
I`m with you, I`ve seen him with the PGM300 LOTS of times on video, isn`t that his MAIN axe???
I`ve seen him with one of those blue ones with hardtail though..........

jono 02-05-2002 06:28 AM

For a long time Paul was using the PGM300 with it's Lo-Pro Edge trem replaced with a Gotoh Fender style hardtail as found on the later PGM 500/800 models. I believe he had the cavity filled with the same wood and then filled and sprayed to match.

When the Candy Apple Red PGM500 was introduced he was pictured a lot with that and more recently I've seen him photographed with the PGM90 and even more recently the PGM10 :)

So I can't honestly say which is his "main" guitar :(

Polaris20 02-05-2002 07:08 AM

yeah PG's the only one that I've seen use more than just one color or type of a guitar. Vai always uses the VWH, and Satch almost always uses the JS2. I guess that's fine, but that wouldn't cut it for me. If I were a major endorsee for Ibanez, I'd have a different guitar for each pair of socks I own!! But maybe that's just me.

I love different stuff.

Two hands31 02-05-2002 08:55 PM

Quote:

MrNiceguy87 on 4:19 pm on Feb. 4, 2002
Why does the JEM just seem..BETTER??? I know the PGM is pretty good to, any pros. about it against the JEM???
Look up at the name of the site. *:biggrin: *We're biased.

Pablo 02-06-2002 02:41 PM

I might be wrong but......

When the PGM 100 came out it was basically a RG770 with the F-holes and Paf pros

The difference to the Jem were... no angled jack, no tone control, no scratchplate, different neck profile, bound neck, no lions claw or monkey grip.

Same woods, same hardware, same pups and switching

Then when the PGM300 came out it had the AANJ first. Maple fretboard

The PGM500 was the first 'production' model the rest were suposedly limited eddition models (Or so I heard) this had and has been the only PGM with an angled jack. Also a pickup change it went with Dimarzio humbucker from hell and a tone zone along with a Jem single coil

The PGM800 was the Ash one with the red F holes which only now am I starting to like. now two tone zones

PGM 900 Talman body (Great neck) good ibanez pickups horrible headstock and only 22 frets

PGM90th maple on a basswood body ebony fretboard

The JPM's to me are only a new paint job although the 90th is REAL nice. The PGM''s and Jems have had multiple changes but they have been around longer.