Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Fender Road Worn Guitars (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/fender-road-worn-guitars-94785.html)

Stringz 09-18-2009 09:49 PM

Fender Road Worn Guitars

I am a fan of Strats and Teles, but the Road Worn models bug me. I have played them and the play just fine, but I hate the idea of a guitars that are so called ' broken in '. I have had my Strat for 11 years and my Tele for 8, they get played hard at least 4 nights a week and the finish on both guitars is perfect. The odd little nick here and there but over all they are in great shape. Maybe it's just the 'Road Worn ' name that bothers me, but a guitar doesn't have to be 'beat up' just because it's used on the road.

Ayrton 09-18-2009 11:21 PM

Re: Fender Road Worn Guitars

I have to say I agree that the relicing looks a tad fake, but I have played both the Tele and Strat a few times, and they feel great.

I would not consider one at $900, but I have to say I was quite tempted Friday when MF was blowing them out for $499.

Besides, that blonde Tele is just begging for the Jeff Beck treatment.

corpraider69 09-19-2009 02:06 AM

I don't like fake road worn or reliced guitars at all. If you want a road worn look buy a real used one they are easy enough to find and cheaper. Or play a guitar you have enough to wear the finish off it I guess. The whole concept is stupid some dude hitting a new guitar with a chain and sanding a brand new finish off is kinda lame so you can be a poser! To each his own though!

here.choo 10-01-2009 11:47 AM

I love reliced guitar, but I agreed to you all Road Worin is fake.

ColinMmmmm 10-01-2009 01:13 PM

I don't mind nicks and dents, but I can't stand dirty hardware. Resting my hand on a rusty bridge just makes me cringe. I'd never get a full relic for that reason.

j.arledge 10-01-2009 01:23 PM

what is funny to me is they put the frets on then wear the neck. The frets only have half the life of a standard mexican made strat. Why would you pay more for a road worn when you could buy a used mexican strat for 300$ or less take the neck off drag the body behind a car or truck for a couple of blocks(under 30 miles an hour) and have a real road worn but for like 700 less and the neck would have longer fret life and fret out on the 9-12 fret.

I work in a music store and we got 4 road worns and one joe strummer. I hate them, i am not a huge strat fan to begin with but i wish fender would go under for putting stupid crap out like the road worn.

edit: they look stupid because they aren't really worn in the right places, or at least from what i have seen.

marianozz 10-01-2009 01:39 PM

The Joe Strummer i saw looks SOOOOOOOOO fake its disgusting... The black matte parts of the body look like the back of a matte JPM-P4, the wood underneath looks like its a painting of wood... Its like the whole thing is shrinkwrapped in something that looks like a worn guitar from a distance...

And the hardware looks like beach rust, not really rust from wear....

I dunno, pretty ugly overall :(

mitchmarshall 10-01-2009 01:57 PM

Heres one that I reliced playing it for 25 years.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ofP3189651.jpg

Lumi3erjack 10-11-2009 08:42 PM

I think relic'd guitars look really cool, but the amount of money they're charging for a Mexican Strat is outrageous.

Shredder87 10-12-2009 06:50 AM

I've never got the whole "relic" craze. To me it's all a bit pretentious. Why would you want to make a brand-new guitar look beaten up? I don't get it. I'm not sure what's seen as being "cool" about a knackered-looking guitar.

I like guitars to be nice and clean 'n' shiny. I don't mind minor dings and scrapes acquired by accident through normal use over the years but I dislike major damage. I'd rather get it repaired. Or avoid getting it that bad in the first place by looking after it!

All those old scraped 60s and 70s Strats and Teles... not for me. And a damaged Gibson... that's blasphemy! :)

'87

Treishtrei 10-18-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchmarshall (Post 953636)
Heres one that I reliced playing it for 25 years.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ofP3189651.jpg

gorgeous!!!! it's like an old wine. it's like a life worn wise old man. it's like an experienced woman in her 40's (i'm just guessing :P)

About a damaged Gibson, I happen to like Tom Morello's pink burned LP.