Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Xiphos (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/xiphos-96795.html)

Mustaine-who? 11-15-2009 08:55 AM

Xiphos

Sooooo...I walked into a local mom and pop store, and they had a 27 fret Xiphos hanging on the wall. I played it and reeeaaally dug it. I really liked the neck. Thicker than an original Wizard I've played...and not as wide as the USA Custom I use to own.

But...its MII...Indonesia....

I admit it...I'm a MIJ snob. I don't care for MIK, MII, MIC (CZ)...or any others....

Am I screwed???

C.Thep 11-15-2009 10:16 AM

Re: Xiphos

Wellz...even alot of pro players are using MII Xiphos's. Jack Owen for instance. If you like it that much, then that should be enough to get over your MIJ snobery shouldn't it?

AxeHappy 11-15-2009 01:05 PM

If you like the guitar why would you care where it's made?

Jack Secret 11-15-2009 01:29 PM

Well, if one wants a Xiphos, Indonesian is the only way to get it. They seem to be really well made so if you like it, go for it.

Mustaine-who? 11-15-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxeHappy (Post 963777)
If you like the guitar why would you care where it's made?

Why do people pay more for MIA or MIJ guitars? Quality? Quality of the wood...of the electronics...of the hardware...of the paint...of the finish detail. To say "ah who cares where its made" is really kinda ignorant...and ignores the skill set of the production factory and the level of detail Ibanez is willing to pay the production people for the finished product.

jono 11-15-2009 05:42 PM

It's not where it's made it's how it's made.

It's just at the moment, the two are usually taken as being synonymous.

jono 11-15-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.Thep (Post 963748)
Wellz...even alot of pro players are using MII Xiphos's. Jack Owen for instance.

Hate to say it but... Jack who?

Magical Muffin 11-15-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jono (Post 963838)
Hate to say it but... Jack who?

A quick trip to wikipedia can usually remedy such questions.

Quote:

associated acts
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Adrift
There you go.

As for the guitar, if the finish is good, neck is up to snuff, and electronics are not messy, it is a good guitar. It's origin has little factor in it's quality. Many korean guitars (such as higher end LTDs) can smoke many MIJ and MIA guitars out of the water.

AxeHappy 11-15-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustaine-who? (Post 963833)
Why do people pay more for MIA or MIJ guitars? Quality? Quality of the wood...of the electronics...of the hardware...of the paint...of the finish detail. To say "ah who cares where its made" is really kinda ignorant...and ignores the skill set of the production factory and the level of detail Ibanez is willing to pay the production people for the finished product.

Except...that you said you liked the guitar. Not getting a guitar you really liked simply because it's made not in Japan or what it quite simply stupid.

As for the quality of the hardware, the 27 fret Xiphos has a fixed bridge so you don't have to deal with the Edge 3. It comes with Dimarzio pups.

And again, unless you like bad quality you already know it's a good quality guitar. So, what's the problem?

toshiro 11-15-2009 07:07 PM

I have a 2009 Xiphos, and 3 MIJ RGs. The Xiphos is not the same quality level, but after a level and recrown(and some hardware swaps) it plays great.

PS: The 27 Fret Xiphos has an Edge III, but there are stop-tail versions of the 24 fret model.

AxeHappy 11-15-2009 09:59 PM

Well, humdinger. I thought it was fixed.

prydogga 11-16-2009 01:58 AM

To me, the only thing that lets down non MIJ,LACS,MIA Ibby's is the neck, and if I was getting a Xiphos I'd refinish it with a natural neck, so I can sand the profile to a nice feeling, so it's not a deterrant for me.

jono 11-16-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magical Muffin (Post 963846)
A quick trip to wikipedia can usually remedy such questions.

There you go.

As for the guitar, if the finish is good, neck is up to snuff, and electronics are not messy, it is a good guitar. It's origin has little factor in it's quality. Many korean guitars (such as higher end LTDs) can smoke many MIJ and MIA guitars out of the water.

so it can

I thought I didn't recognise him from all the guitar magazine covers he's not been on ;)

My own lack of familiarity aside, it's good to see that someone who's a working musician in what are seemingly big bands for that genre that is vouching for teh quality of instruments from these territories :)

C.Thep 11-16-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jono (Post 963940)
so it can

I thought I didn't recognise him from all the guitar magazine covers he's not been on ;)

My own lack of familiarity aside, it's good to see that someone who's a working musician in what are seemingly big bands for that genre that is vouching for teh quality of instruments from these territories :)

Sorry, next time I mention an artist endorsement, I'll make sure you know who it is before hand. Obviously people you don't know are just completely irrelevant to any discussion. I was going to mention that Peter Joseph uses a MII Xiphos too, but whats the point...

jono 11-17-2009 02:09 AM

If I don't know, there's a good chance LOTS of folks don't know. So actually you're right, what IS the point? :rolleyes:

If you said, Joe Smith of the band blahblahblah, it might help somewhat. But to select guys who aren't mainstream "guitar heroes" and post up their names like they are and expect to make a valid point ...

I'm not trying to discourage you from posting up these guys, I'm trying to encourage you to include other forumites in the discussion by helping hem understand the points you're trying to make.