Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   RG350MYE neck/bridge fit question (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/rg350mye-neck-bridge-fit-question-98882.html)

TheLivingDead 01-22-2010 06:05 PM

RG350MYE neck/bridge fit question

Hey everyone,

I got one of those new RG350MYEs last month and I want to replace the neck with a better one. I'm guessing a 550 with a matching headstock. Which one would fit and how much would I be looking at spending?

Oh and I can't stand the Edge III bridge. What would you all recommend as a replacement? I like the big feel of a floyd. Would that retro fit on there? Thanks for any help guys!

jono 01-22-2010 06:21 PM

Re: RG350MYE neck/bridge fit question

Sounds like you should just sell the guitar and get an RG550.

jem7vwh 01-22-2010 06:44 PM

I have to agree with Jono here. The neck's going to cost you upwards of $150, the new bridge will be around there too. So you're talking about $300+ just to make the guitar almost as good as a stock 550.

Then, once you sell it, you'll get very little of that money back because no one wants to buy your partscaster--they want the real deal.

So if the 350 isn't doing what you want, sell it and get the guitar you want. You can find a nice 550 for $350-400 still.

RedTiger 01-22-2010 07:16 PM

What it sounds like the OP is shooting for is keeping the awesome yellow body the 350MYE but get a higher-end neck and bridge. I can certainly understand the appeal of doing that. Also, what makes you assume he'd sell it? Not everyone sells guitars like that. :P If he's going to all the trouble, he's probably more interested in getting it just right for him.

Neck: You'd want one that fits the AANJ on the RG350...which I THINK it has. The problem is, there are a lot of places to look for a replacement neck, but very few are going to be an Ibanez neck with an Ibanez headstock, Ibanez logo, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe contact Ibanez to see if they can hook you up?

To be honest, what I would do is ask "what about this neck bothers me?" and then I'd try to fix that. Once you identify that, I'd take it to a professional and see what it will cost vs. getting a replacement neck. I don't think you'll have much luck with a replacement.

Bridge: Search around and you'll find some info on what tremolo unit fits into what route and so forth. I THINK an OFR fits the Edge III.

jono 01-22-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTiger (Post 981155)
What it sounds like the OP is shooting for is keeping the awesome yellow body the 350MYE but get a higher-end neck and bridge. I can certainly understand the appeal of doing that. Also, what makes you assume he'd sell it? Not everyone sells guitars like that. :P If he's going to all the trouble, he's probably more interested in getting it just right for him.

Neck: You'd want one that fits the AANJ on the RG350...which I THINK it has. The problem is, there are a lot of places to look for a replacement neck, but very few are going to be an Ibanez neck with an Ibanez headstock, Ibanez logo, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe contact Ibanez to see if they can hook you up?

To be honest, what I would do is ask "what about this neck bothers me?" and then I'd try to fix that. Once you identify that, I'd take it to a professional and see what it will cost vs. getting a replacement neck. I don't think you'll have much luck with a replacement.

Bridge: Search around and you'll find some info on what tremolo unit fits into what route and so forth. I THINK an OFR fits the Edge III.

Well there isn't a neck with the matching headstock from another guitar as far as I know. I did sell the spare neck I had for my DY 550 a while back, I think for about the equivalent of $300 That's probably the nearest colour match even though it's not exact. I'm not even sure that the older 550 necks would fit a new 350 as the overall neck width changed a little while back.

It really does sound like the OP has effectively bought the wrong guitar if he's just got it and is already looking to switch the neck and the bridge.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

IbanezDaemon 01-22-2010 08:19 PM

I think you're right Jono. I don't think a Jap made neck will fit an Indo body. Even if it did by the time you buy a replacement neck and take out the trem and replace it with an OFR and then get the guitar setup the outlay would be close to what you could pick up a good 550 for anyway and the 550 will have better pickups as well.

LonePhantom 01-22-2010 11:28 PM

Yeah, well what is seriously the problem with the neck? If you no issues with the neck, other than "it's not a Japanese made neck" then why replace it. As others said, you won't find another matching DY headstock neck. Get the frets finished nicely, should be right to go. ;)

With regards to the bridge, again if you have no other issue than "it's not a Japanese made bridge" just leave it. If you don't like it at all then you can usually retro fit an Edge Pro with minimal work. If you are happy to have a new bridge put in with a little work, go buy yourself a Gotoh licenced Floyd Rose and route out the trem cavity to fit, and replace the Edge III studs with the locking Gotoh ones.

TheLivingDead 01-22-2010 11:35 PM

Yeah I'm getting the feeling I should've just held on to my cash a little longer as I paid about $400 for it. I think the appeal was that it was new vs. a dinged up older 550. Don't get me wrong, I love all the mojo used instruments have but I just couldn't remember the when last time I bought a NEW guitar was. Anyways... The neck isn't terrible by any means... I just know how a proper 550 neck feels and that would be ideal. Oh and the 350 doesn't have the AANJ. It's that rounded off kind of one. I've already upgraded the pups (did that almost immediately). Got a D-Activator X in the neck, Fast Track-2 in the middle and a Tone Zone in the bridge. It's a hell of a player now... I just wanted to see if a neck upgrade was possible. I'll probably call Ibanez and see what they say for sure about the neck and bridge. Thanks guys. Oh and here's some pics! :mrgreen:

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...1/PIC_0591.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...1/PIC_0597.jpg

IbanezDaemon 01-23-2010 06:34 AM

Looks amazing!!! Love the coloured pups/knobs.

TheLivingDead 01-23-2010 07:28 AM

Thanks man! It sounds amazing too. :)

Roryrockslinda 01-23-2010 08:02 AM

Absolutely love the colours!

ikosaed 01-23-2010 04:46 PM

You don't need a matching headstock for that! ;)

TheLivingDead 01-23-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikosaed (Post 981367)
You don't need a matching headstock for that! ;)

Oh I know. I was just saying IF I got another neck. I think I'll just keep it the way it is. I've definitely gotten used to it. :mrgreen:

LonePhantom 01-24-2010 07:23 AM

Nice. :)

Oh, and that rounded neck joint thing is AANJ! ;)

sniperfrommars1 01-24-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonePhantom (Post 981509)
Nice. :)

Oh, and that rounded neck joint thing is AANJ! ;)

The korean guitars have a different style of the sculpted neck joint. Obviously to save cost the body dimensions on these guitars are slightly smaller, they dont have the same type of input jack among other little details.