Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   ESP LTD "M or F" 7 String ?? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/esp-ltd-m-f-7-string-99457.html)

Ytsejam777 02-08-2010 07:01 PM

ESP LTD "M or F" 7 String ??

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe Somebody can help me!! I have been playing Guitar for 35+ years and have "been there done that". Well, a few months ago while browsing **** I saw what was listed as an "ESP LTD M-207 7 String Guitar". It looked sick and cheap enough, so I figured I would make a project guitar out of it. So I picked it up for $350. Now,,Here is my dilemma.
The guitar Looks just like the ESP LTD F250 6 String Guitar. With its Goth Styling, Floyd Rose, EMG's, It had 1 Volume knob and 1 Pickup Switch, nothing else. It has a Very Wide Maple Neck with Skull& Bones Inlays , Including the 12th Fret up to the 24th as well. The guitar is fairly heavy, almost too heavy for basswood. The Serial number is on the back of the headstock and Says "Korea E 073830" . Does Anybody Know anything about this guitar??? I want to know because I have created a MonsTeR!!

It is just a totally bad ass Look. Except it is a 7 String!!! And I have not been able to find another one like it online to verify what model it is. I have even contacted ESP but received no response! I am curious as to what this Guitar actually iS!
What is the Actual Model Number?? What wood is it made from, Mahogany,Basswood,Agathis,??? Etc,,,

The Guitar was in need of some TLC and the pickups just didn't cut it. The action was high, not intonated needed a new life!
I play allot of Dream Theater and wanted to try Petrucci's Pickups in this Monster. So I picked up 2 DiMarzio 7 String Pickups. The DP706 D-Sonic and the DP707 Liquifire. I brought the Guitar to "Guitar Center" here in Orange, CT. I told the Guitar Tech there, Max, to trick it out. He Routed out some of the body to put an additional Volume control in and wired the new pickups to both controls.The Liquifire in the Neck and the D-Sonic in the Bridge. He then wired them For Series and Parallel, Push/Pull! Because these pickups where slightly wider than the EMG's he also had to widen the Pickup slots. Now these Pickups are actually mounted on the wood of the body. Unlike the EMG's which were just sitting on the 2 mounting screws.He added 1 spring to the Floyd Rose and Lowered the Action. The whole Setup! It cost about $350 for the work. Now, the guitar has More Sustain, Very Clear notes, Great Speed and is just amazing! I dare say it sounds better than any Guitar I have,,well maybe not the Les Paul. But,, Everything was done right. I find myself wanting to play this guitar more often now for songs where I really only a 6 string. But the sound just keeps bringing me back! I want to put these pickups in my Ibanez RG450DX now!

So now I have about $700 invested in this guitar! AND IT ROCKS!!!
These Pickups are absolutely Awesome! Clean, Dirty, You name it they deliver!! It was worth every penny!! I dont regret making this guitar into a project piece. It has paid off.

I have several guitars to choose from, including an Ibanez RG450DX, Jackson Dinky with EMG-HZ, 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom, but none have the sound of this thing. I don't know what it is! I know the pickups are a big thing, but I want to know what kind of wood it is made of.. I mean, when I plug this thing in, the sound is just amazing!! The action is Perfect for a 7 string!. As low as you can get without any buzz. And the Push/Pull pots make your choice of sounds endless. Each volume knob controls 1 pickup, so you can dial in as much volume of either pickup as you want or go series or parallel. There is an infinite number of Tones!! I highly recommend this setup to anybody who wants it all in one guitar!

Anyways.,,, Does Anybody have an idea What is the Correct Model of this Guitar???

Weezel 02-08-2010 09:07 PM

Re: ESP LTD "M or F" 7 String ??

I believe the "F" came with EMGs and the "M" with Seymour Duncan but I could be wrong, its been awhile since I've done my research.
I do believe the models were made from either alder, basswood and/or Maple considering what model you got.
A buddy of mine used to own one and from what I remember, I think it was a maple finish. Alder is similar to Basswood as far was weight goes, IMO and the guitar as you mentioned was a little heavy.
It is an old model, probably discontinued around 8 years ago or so, I guess you can consider it a rare catch?
Hope this helps, im just giving my 2 cents from what I know about ESP(Considering its one my favorite brands)
Goodluck

conorreich 03-15-2010 03:06 PM

its definitely and f series if your still looking for the info.

most likely it is an f-207

Agent540 03-15-2010 03:52 PM

no need to shout ! my ears ! :lol:

sanitarium 03-31-2010 04:55 PM

I can 100% confirm it is NOT an M-207 as I have one for sale here http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...ss-101108.html and it has M-207 inlayed at the 12th fret.

NeglectedField 03-31-2010 05:27 PM

Yeah dude, steady on the bold and large text. Not necessary.

Ytsejam777 03-31-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeglectedField (Post 998744)
Yeah dude, steady on the bold and large text. Not necessary.

Sorry about the Bold Text. My screen is terrible and unless my fonts are bold I can barely read them. I apologize to anyone who thinks I was shouting or otherwise! No disrespect meant.

azmully 04-01-2010 02:33 PM

I own one of these. From anything I have been able to find, the model is MF-207. There was an F-207 which was basically the same guitar, but not with skull and cross-bone inlays.

Update: Talked to someone at ESP. He couldn't confirm the model name based on my serial number and description. I emailed him some pictures, and he said he will get back to me with the model number. I'll post when I have that info.

azmully 04-09-2010 06:00 PM

I talked with the guy at ESP today. He said this model was made exclusively for Musician's Friend around 2002-2003, and only about 150-200 were made.

The model number is F-207MF (the MF meaning Musician's Friend).

...for anyone who cares...

Ytsejam777 04-09-2010 10:07 PM

Wow!!! Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that this was something special. I have seen many other models, but none quite like this one. And when I saw it for sale for $360 I figured it would be a bargain. I am Glad I got it when I did. Since I replaced the pickups I have a whole new sense for the guitar,,,, Again!! hehe,, Every few years I get bored with playing and I need something to bring the interest back to me. This guitar did it for me again. I appreciate your help. J.R.

azmully 04-09-2010 11:25 PM

Yes, I agree on the pickups. I plan on replacing mine as well. Just haven't done so yet. I've only had mine for about a month. I had the same issue with action, but the intonation was good. The guy I got it from picked up a 7-string out of interest, but never could get the hand of it.

I love 7-strings and this was a great opportunity. I actually love the way it feels. Just need to replace those pickups.

Ytsejam777 04-10-2010 12:15 AM

I was lucky, the intonation on this one was perfect. Even after having it "tweaked" by the Tech it still good. I do notice that the "B" String is usually sharp for a few minutes before I play it but after a bit the neck warms up and it plays great. The action is perfect, very low. Just the way I like it. My Ibanez and Jackson and Les Paul all all setup the same way, super low action. They are all built for speed! I had a Schecter 7-String before this, with EMG-HZ's in it and it was Nice. But I like having a Floyd Rose better and the pickups I put in just make this Guitar something super special now. Its good to know I made a good choice.

Crazy_Guitar 04-23-2010 11:29 AM

It looks like an F-207. And that seems like EMG-7 routing to me!

Ytsejam777 04-23-2010 10:23 PM

Actually, Now that I think about it. I think it may have come with EMG's in it. To be honest I cant really remember exactly which Pickups were in it. It was a completely crazy and difficult month for me. Not too mention, I cant find the old pickups,after they were taken out and put into a box. But I do know for a fact that the Guitar Center Technician, "Max" said that he had to do a little bit of routing on the body to make the new pickups fit properly and make them actually be screwed to the body. Instead of just being screwed and set into the pickups mounting shell and hardware. I wanna say he said " I had to route some of the body because the EMG's were smaller". But I honestly cant be sure which kind of pickups he took out. But I am going to keep looking for them until I find them, then I will post that info when I get it. However, regardless of what pickups were in there, The DiMarzio "D-Sonic" in the bridge and the DiMarzio "Liquifire" in the neck position are by far the best sound I have ever heard. "PERIOD"!!! Between that and my Spider III 150 watt combo with Celestion's make a superb sound and put allot of previous amps to shame. Of course thats just my $.02 cents worth of opinion. I would still rather have a Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis or Dual rectifier.

jrojas159 05-07-2010 11:52 PM

hows the neck on the esps?