Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using EB 10's since I got my RG550 and recently I've been finding them really tense and bending is not the easiest thing in the world (I've tried stretching them A LOT).

I was just wondering how much of a difference there is with 9's rather than 10's. Would 9's feel looser and help more with bending?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
9's feel looser, and pretty good in standard tuning on Ibby's.

I personally use 11's on just about all of my guitars. But most of them are dropped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
550's come set up from the factory with 9's. I think you'll definately notice a difference in feel if you switch to 9's. You'll probably hear a difference in tone too. Several years ago, 9's began to feel kind of stiff in standard tuning to me so I switched to 8's for a while. The feel was OK but I didn't like the tone. I've been using 9s on all my guitars standard tuning (and half step down tuning) ever since.

BTW: Don't forget to check and adjust the trem angle, intonation and (if necessary) the truss rod if you change string gauges.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
9-12-16-24-32-44 = perfect.
(hint, hint, link to your tension chart thread) ;)

I use that custom set on an RG and it feels and sounds great to me. I also use 10's on my fixed and hardtail bridges and standard 9's on the rest of my tremmed guitars (locking trems). The 9's feel good to me on the tremmed guitars but I couldn't play with anything less than 10's on everything else for tone and feel.

~Bones

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I only like 10's on a 24.75" scale. I've tried to like them on trem equipped RG's but I need the bendiness. I'm such a weakling... :(

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
I think I have settled on 9's for the Ibanez and 10's on the Les Paul. However, I do have two of my strats with 10's and two have 9's....

I tune all guitars to Eb.

·
Registered
358 Posts
10's for me, down half a step (which also helps with getting the trem angle correct... maybe i need to replace the springs on my 'FP!!)

I find that i can't alternate pick with any accuraccy on 9's as the strings don't have enough resistance to them.

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
I use 9's with my Floyed guitar. It allows me to use 2 springs on the back and a lot more flutter. Also easier for tapping stuff. But 10's on everything else.

·
Registered
294 Posts
11's for me on anything but my 550 and RGA121 but I'm tempted to go to 12's on a fixed bridge strat I have

I have to admit that moving from 9's to 11's hurt like hell for a week or two (now I know why old bluesmen pull faces when they play) but having used 11's on my strat and tele's now for about 6 weeks I have to say I don't like the feel of 9's anymore.. there's no 'substance' in them

·
Registered
295 Posts
11's for me on anything but my 550 and RGA121 but I'm tempted to go to 12's on a fixed bridge strat I have

I have to admit that moving from 9's to 11's hurt like hell for a week or two (now I know why old bluesmen pull faces when they play) but having used 11's on my strat and tele's now for about 6 weeks I have to say I don't like the feel of 9's anymore.. there's no 'substance' in them
I agree 100%. Giving up a little bit on bends is worth it to gain much thicker and richer tone.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I tune to drop Dflat.....9s feel a little sloppy to me. I use 10s on everything. After a week or so you get used to the heavier gauge pretty easily. As others have mentioned,to me at least....the 10s just feel more substantial.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I can't decide. I switch between 9's 10's 11's and the hybrids in between. Although I haven't used 9's in a while.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
9's = better for legato, tapping,
10's = better for picking

i used 9 - 46 for quite a while, specifically when was playing with a steady band..

ive been back to practicing w/ a few gigs every now and then on guitar, so i switched back to nines... def gonna keep them on my RG, but I will prob fall back to hybrids on my EBMM's

·
Registered
839 Posts
10s for the 24.75" SG or tuning to D on the rest, 9s for the 25.5" scale guitars in normal tuning. I'm sick and tired of filing/sanding trem saddles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts