Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided to remove the stop bar in my edge zero today to tighten up the arm holder and see what it would feel like completely floating. felt pretty cool, but i did by an edge zero, so i put the bar back in.

thing is, the manual says to make sure the stop bar is touching the trem spring holder block and that it's secure in its grooves at the right hand side of the trem cavity, if you can call them that.

but to make sure the bar is touching the trem block and the grooves, the trem can't be 100% parallel to the body. it's aaaaalmost there, not quite dead on. if i adjust the spring tension to make it level, the trem block isn't touching the stop rod and thus it functions as a floating bridge, which is not what i bought the guitar for.

i can't tell if it would stay in tune better if it was parallel but i'm assuming it would. but i don't think i'd notice the difference. it's about 1.5mm off being parallel (it's raised 1.5mm above, not sunk in).

i use .11 to .48 guage because i love having that extra tension for bends. is it worth going down to .10s so that the knife edge is 100% parallel? the manual says edge trems are supposed to function best if at 100% parallel.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your intonation will be a bit off, but I suppose you could adjust that easily with the built in tool and whatnot.

I know some players who intentionally have term just a little bit high for more pullup and say it doesn't throw their tuning off any.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i've adjusted the intonation since the trem's been at this level. guess i'll keep it like this then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts