Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Not exactly. Steinberger makes a 12 string bridge, but not a vibrato, but it appears to be almost Identical in design to one of their tremolo equipped bridges. While were on the topic the only 12 vibrato Ive ever seen was in John entwhistles collection. He has an old Gretsch with a bigsby fitted to it for 12 string use.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you had the octaved strings on a floyd and managed to keep it in tune, the instant that you pulled up, you would snap half of your strings. :wink:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im sure one day someone will make one and people will go coooool and then not buy one.
On that note, does anyone know anyone who has actually fitted the khaler to a bass, not me.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I think the reason that there isnt one, is because there isnt really a call for one. No one has really ever requested a 12-string floyd, and I dont think there ever will be a need for one. But as said previously, I am sure there will be one day. Ordinary 12 strings arent really heavily played themselves.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i'm sure you could put a floyd on anything if you spent the time. it's all just a matter of balancing the tension, yeah? and obviously having the right number of saddles.

assuming there was enough space in the back, i'm sure you could fit the world's biggest floyd to a piano. many many springs, and a real biatch to tune, i'm sure.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I don't think anyone has done a 12-string floating/fulcrum tremolo of any kind. The tension would probably kill any kind of knife edge almost immediately.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
darren wilson said:
I don't think anyone has done a 12-string floating/fulcrum tremolo of any kind. The tension would probably kill any kind of knife edge almost immediately.
This would probably work for the zero rocker trem design though. Does anyone have figures of the amount of neck tension a 12 string guitars neck is stressed under in pounds or kilos? Ive thought about this honestly a few times as a vibrato bar would at least give you the option of smoother vibrato. Playing a 12 string is quite different than six for me. Of course as said you wouldnt have much up pull, but a locking bridge 12 string should have been introduced at some point years ago. Im willing to bet no one has done this because they know that they cannot make money off the darn thing. I would still love to see it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts