Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not exactly sure where i screwed up but heres where im at right now - i bought 2 sets of strings for my Jackson 7 because the ones i wanted the most were only for 6 strings so i went ahead and bought them along with a different pack that had 7 strings (same brand) so now im setup with 10 13 17 32 42 52 60 gauge strings.
Now that ive already put these on and tossed the old ones, i have no idea what size the old ones were but im pretty sure they were about the same size as these ones. I picked these sizes because i mainly wanted thinner top strings, HOWEVER what im noticing now is that my thick bottom 3 strings do not sit down in the saddle slots as far as i think theyre supposed to, especially the 7th string.
I assume that this is probably because i ended up with like 3 almost 4 wraps on the knob when i put that string on, and seems how the string sounds for lack of a better word "dead" when i strum it, i figure it might be from all of my extra wraps. I also noticed that there is this one spot towards the base of my thickest string near the metal loop where it appears to bend or point outwards, making it stick up a little bit at the bridge, which seems odd.
I havent attempted to adjust the truss rod bc i dont think ill need to but i have tried moving the saddles and i still seem to be getting buzz, even through my amp. I only play in drop G so maybe i didnt get thick enough strings? I honestly dont know what the issue is, but im hoping someone here can help me figure it out.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
If you're in drop G your bottom string should be around a 66-68. And you high E should be around a 12. General rule is for each whole step change you go a full gauge change.

You have to force the strings to conform and come off the saddle and nut straight. There are tech that will argue this takes some life out of a string and I say I've never heard a difference and how are you supposed to do a setup when you have no idea after playing it for a few days where that string is finally going to end up when it comes off straight. push it down at the nut and the bridge, or if it's a trem do full pullups. Careful as you can push it down hard enough at the brodge so that it bends down instead of coming off straight [which is why I prefer full pull ups]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response man, im pretty sure i understand what youre trying to tell me and im gonna take your advice and see if it helps at all. But before i put anymore time and effort into this guitar string situation, i feel like its probably safe to assume that im gonna need to order another set or 2, maybe thicker gauge like you suggested since i will only be playing in drop g. But the main reason i say this is because im now realizing that my restringing skills are total garbage. I dont know if thats necessarily the cause of most of the issues im having right now but after spending a few hours just reading stuff on google ive come to the conclusion that no matter what, im gonna need new strings and probably a guitar tech to put them on for me lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts