Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated the color of my 1570. All of the sparkles and that greenish tinted blue... I had to do something!!!
Playing around with the V-RG Builder I tried to find a way to give my 1570 a facelift on a limited budget. I did a lot of research and found Patrick Sims who just happens to live in town. I was hesitant because of a lot of bickering and trashing in here, but then decided to give him a call. I was in no hurry and did not want this project rushed so that eliminated most of my worry right off the bat. Patrick was very easy to talk to and helped with the decision on the mahogany by showing some current projects. His portfolio is quite impressive and he is an amazing artist so it was a no-brainer for me. He had this cut out the day I chose the wood...

After he sealed it I could tell I was in for a treat with this project....

I received the body last week and was blown away. Pictures do not do this thing justice! I could not be more pleased!!!

I went the white Air Norton, Tone Zone route for the pups. I had the wiring and everything done last night but have not taken pictures yet. I am still waiting for the pickguard, posts and studs so I can finish this baby.

This was a lot of fun and was just wanting to share this experience with everyone here. Please do not turn this into a bash Patrick hissy-fit. There are plenty of other threads for that. I'll post more pictures as I take them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Probably because there are some people on this site who do not like Patrick very much. I'll be posting soon about a mahogany body I got off the bay from Patrick. The quality is incredible.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
FYI, Patrick still uses Chris Woods for his bodies. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the body is by Chris and the paint is by Patrick.

Nice burst!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
FYI, Patrick still uses Chris Woods for his bodies. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the body is by Chris and the paint is by Patrick.

Nice burst!
Like I said... "He had this cut out the day I chose the wood..."

The day I decided to go mahogany, because of another project he was working on, he showed me the uncut body blank when I met with him in here in Chatty. He cut it that evening and emailed the pictures that next day. He does not use Chris anymore since he got his own CNC.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Nice burst!
Sims makes his own bodies these days. See his thread on sevenstring about it.

On topic: That looks very tasty! Congrats!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mahogany RG's a super sexy, congrats.
It looks great. Nice wood.
I would have just oiled it and not have the black sides (and little burst), but I could live with this too. Finish on mahogany makes it a bit too much "piece of furniture" in my eyes.

The white pickups don't really fit well in my eyes.

Shame on the handle (especially that) and the lion's claw.
I have to ask why anyone makes a JEM handle in a non JEM?
I wake up every day dreaming about JEM's without the handle. :)

Just joking (but I do think the handle are ugly).

This is what I mean with a just oiled look (sorry for posting guitars in your tread).

/Magnus

·
Registered
126 Posts
hi Groovy Coovy, in spite of the problems i had with patrick, i love your body finish. i don`t like the handle and claw very much, but i don`t need.

i think, the white pups looks amazing...

just a question. is there a clearcoat on the body? is the back black aswell?

thanx man and again, congrats.

best wishes from nuremberg, germany

jens

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.