Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I need some input on a Guitar that my husband had bought many years ago and I am now trying to find a new owner since I am not a musician and a guitar should not just stay in a case but needs to be played.
Before I can do that I need some Information.
This is a beautiful guitar and from what little I know in good condition. I can't find any real information on the model online. So I hope I get some input in here.

What I do know:
It is a Zion Guitar made between 1980-1993 (serial # 1834) the company is from North Carolina USA.
Here are some pictures of it.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument White String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Light Purple Blue Guitar accessory String instrument

Brown Shoe Light Sleeve Gadget

·
Registered
113 Posts
My advice would be to reach out to Dale Brown at Zion Guitars. His email is [email protected]

He should be able to share information in regard to the year and model of the guitar. It should be easier to research then.

Some Zions are quite rare and collectible, but not all. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice would be to reach out to Dale Brown at Zion Guitars. His email is [email protected]

He should be able to share information in regard to the year and model of the guitar. It should be easier to research then.

Some Zions are quite rare and collectible, but not all. Good luck!
I actually have done that already, but he never gave me any information on the Guitar his response was "the system that contained the build information for your guitar was lost a few years ago". I did send him pictures and the serial number but he never got back to me after that.

It would be nice to know what I have.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I actually have done that already, but he never gave me any information on the Guitar his response was "the system that contained the build information for your guitar was lost a few years ago". I did send him pictures and the serial number but he never got back to me after that.

It would be nice to know what I have.
I understand. The company was founded by a gentleman named Ken Hoover who has sadly passed away. He was much more personable and knowledgeable than Dale. Sorry Dale was not cooperative, but he has rubbed lots of folks the wrong way, sadly.

Your best bet is to join The Gear Page, and ask them. They have some folks that are Zion experts. It appears to me to be a Picasso model, which is probably one of the most valuable Zion out there to collectors.

Good luck.

·
Registered
557 Posts
that's a zion radicaster...judging by the paintjob it's late 80's/early 90's...they were nice guitars but i preferred the ones with the pointy headstock myself...d.m.

radicasters usually go somewhere above 1000 bucks...that one has a factory custom paintjob so it may be worth more assuming you can find someone into those particular guitars

·
Super Moderator
7,394 Posts
If memory serves, that’s an extremely rare ‘Blue Picasso’ finish and literally only a handful were ever made. The last Picasso I saw on Reverb.com was about $5000.

The U.K. magazine ‘Guitarist’ reviewed one in I think, 1993 as a new model so it’s from probably around that date

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. The company was founded by a gentleman named Ken Hoover who has sadly passed away. He was much more personable and knowledgeable than Dale. Sorry Dale was not cooperative, but he has rubbed lots of folks the wrong way, sadly.

Your best bet is to join The Gear Page, and ask them. They have some folks that are Zion experts. It appears to me to be a Picasso model, which is probably one of the most valuable Zion out there to collectors.

Good luck.
Thank you for the information. Yeah, I got that feeling from Dale which is sad, because this guitar is a piece of art and even if I am not a Guitarist, I think they are made very well and exceptional.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If memory serves, that’s an extremely rare ‘Blue Picasso’ finish and literally only a handful were ever made. The last Picasso I saw on Reverb.com was about $5000.

The U.K. magazine ‘Guitarist’ reviewed one in I think, 1993 as a new model so it’s from probably around that date
Thank you for your information, I will look into that some more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Condition being everything, I see you have a fair amount of rust on the nut parts and bridge. A little BreakFree CLP will help that a lot. Other than that it looks to be immaculate.

There are some similar models that are priced around 2K out there, at about the same age as your guitar. I agree with others that have said to check the gear page.

Luckily Shred is making a comeback, so that style of guitar is worth more than it ever was. Don’t know that it’s worth 5 K though.

You Might also check Ed Roman in Nevada. Ed’s gone, but I believe they are carrying on. They seem to have a lot of vintage shredders.

·
Super Moderator
7,394 Posts
Condition being everything, I see you have a fair amount of rust on the nut parts and bridge. A little BreakFree CLP will help that a lot. Other than that it looks to be immaculate.

There are some similar models that are priced around 2K out there, at about the same age as your guitar. I agree with others that have said to check the gear page.

Luckily Shred is making a comeback, so that style of guitar is worth more than it ever was. Don’t know that it’s worth 5 K though.

You Might also check Ed Roman in Nevada. Ed’s gone, but I believe they are carrying on. They seem to have a lot of vintage shredders.

Whilst there are some good points here, I think that this post overlooks the simple rarity of this model. The Picasso and the Hotrod Zions were liteally "the" Zion guitars at the time (granted they came at the time "grunge" was killing "shred", but hey ;) ). Comparing these ones to a Radicaster with a "normal" finish misses a lot, especially on value.

The last two 'sold' listings of a Picasso that I found with Google (which may have been the same guitar sold in two different stores across the world) were both of the one with the black finish, which had the graphics, but not the two-tone fade. The one here in pink and blue was, as I mentioned before called a "blue picasso" and the other colour scheme I know of had a yellow to pink fade.

I'd be scared to trust anything that Ed Roman's organisation says, he was never a "friend" to Ibanez guitars and his advertising policies on his website were "questionable" at best... the shop might be more favourable since his passing and the fact that Zion is a US brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts