Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine is selling one of these cheap, he says it's identical to this one:

anybody ever play one of these? the serial starts C82 so i'm assuming it's Korean-made. my friend says it's a bolt-on with a finished neck, and he remembers it sounding good (hasn't had much play time lately).

i'd be checking it out in person before deciding to buy, but if anyone has played this model before and can give me any info, that'd be great.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The early Rocket Roll series usually get quite a good reputation. Try taking a looky on Harmony Central, they usually have reviews of everything. By the looks from the picture, it looks like it has a super distortion in the bridge. Which wouldnt suprise me because they were the "main" pickup then. I have never seen that bridge before though, looks cool!

Also, try looking through the old Ibanez catalogues for more info. Rich's site didnt appear to have an 82 catalogue. But there is an 81 and 83 catalogue up there.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the.godfather said:
The early Rocket Roll series usually get quite a good reputation. Try taking a looky on Harmony Central, they usually have reviews of everything. By the looks from the picture, it looks like it has a super distortion in the bridge. Which wouldnt suprise me because they were the "main" pickup then. I have never seen that bridge before though, looks cool!

Also, try looking through the old Ibanez catalogues for more info. Rich's site didnt appear to have an 82 catalogue. But there is an 81 and 83 catalogue up there.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm
i've already looked on the H-C review section, posted on the board, and looked for catalogs (nothing of use on ibanezrules).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those were made in Japan, as were all Ibanez guitars at that time (i think?).

I had the Detroyer II DT50-FR and it was an excellent guitar and are quite sought-after these days but the RR's don't seem as popular for some reason.

Mine was exactly the same spec as that RR apart from the body-shape. I think the DT's were also a lot more popular because Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden used one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so they're japanese made....how are they quality-wise? i've got an RG750 and an RG7620....also had an AX7521 for a while, and my brother has an RG1570 and an RG120, so that's basically my point of reference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gunkungfu said:
they are decent they play the same as most of the x series models compared to a RG they are 2 different styles and sound
that doesn't tell me a whole lot, i've only played one X series guitar that i can remember, and that was a lower-end 3-humbucker Destroyer II a while ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flobanez said:
Im not much for V's, but that is kind of nice. It's got a real classic look to it. ;)
yeah, i actually tend to dislike non-pointy Vs, but maybe that has a lot more to do with the retarded-looking headstocks like you see on Gibsons and Deans and Hamers? i dunno....anyway, i talked to my friend earlier today and it looks like i should be able to test this out sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
gunkungfu said:
they are decent they play the same as most of the x series models compared to a RG they are 2 different styles and sound
It isn't an X-series guitar. The X-series came along later than these.

I agree with what you're saying about them being two very different guitars though (the RG's and the RR/DT's).

The nearest guitar to these that Ibanez makes today is the new Destroyer re-issues or even the IC300 Iceman.

The Destroyer II i had (which was from the same series as the RR,exactly the same spec) was an excellent quality guitar but it was nearer a classic Gibson feel than an RG.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
MetalWarrior said:
retarded-looking headstocks like you see on Gibsons and Deans and Hamers
That comment is more retarded than any of those headstocks.;)

All three of the guitar you mention there have completely different shaped headstocks so bunching them all together and labelling them 'retarded' is not an inteligent opinion.

The Gibson Flying V headstock is an all-time classic and will be remembered long after all the various 'pointy V' Jackson/ESP generic type headstocks have been retired to the pawn-shops.

Granted the Dean headstock isn't that aesthetically pleasing but some people like it a lot. Dimebag did. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the sistership - Destroyer II flame top in 83 and wish I could have bought one of each. the necks are smooth and quick. Just as Paul gilbert!!

what's the price? I may want it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts