Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any time i go looking around to buy or just look for fun at more unique or higher quality ibbys (rg560, rg565, rg570, etc.) theyre always those four years. what makes them so much better or why are there so many more from those years as opposed to other years?

thanks-Damien

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Thats when the most people were buying them, as the (evillll) 90s set in, guitar solo's in particular - shred - fell out of style and into disgrace due to grunge. at the peak - 1995 - there was not a single 7 string in ibanez's catalog, they went from 11 jems/universes to only 4 in only 3 years.

So to put it simply: That is when they were bought the most!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hhmmmmm that makes sense. and off topic a little. what year was it that the rg770 came in laser blue, had a rosewood fretboard, no pickguard etc. wasnt it 91 as well? and dont even mention grunge. thats almost as bad as rap in my opinion. accept alice in chains was good (i think they were grunge?)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I think it was 91, Ibanez has all of the catalogs from the 80s to now on there site, so you can look there. Glad to meet somebody with the mutual dislike of G****e and (c)rap! i think AIC is more rock with a kinda punkish attitude, which is okay :p. Keep rockin'

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Also consider that most models from that era came in 2-4 colors, so there were simply more coming out of the factory, IMO.

Compare that with now, where most models come in 1 color, with a few having a 2nd finish.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Timber qualitys were better, Dimarzios standard on 540 models... All of my guitars are frm exactly that years... 1989 S540 LTD DY , 1990 540R CM , 1991 UV7BK.. The best years IMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my opinion, any, ANY ANY ANY guitar built in that time frame has been amazing... (Besides the B.C. Rich's plywood guitars, but some of their guitars like my old NJ were basswood, in '86 maple, etc etc..)

There's something about the feel, and tone I can't just get out of guitars today. My '88 Charvel's, my old '91/'92ish B.C. Rich STIII, my friends "90ish Ibanez 550m, they're all my favourite guitars, and have something I can't find anywhere else...

*Edit: When I said any, I meant out of the guitars I've tried. I've tried more than I listed, but many I forgot and those seem like the "main" ones to list anyways. :) *

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it probably has a LOT to do with the aged wood. the tones always a lot fuller, clearer and brighter than a new guitar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts