Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this original RG550 last fall from the first owner, played great but looked absolutley disgusting. Never cleaned. So I got it dirt cheap ;)

On to the pics!

I love the wear on the fretboard, won't fix that.

Yuck.

Yeaaaaaaah

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Looks great! I will say, as someone who always washes my hands before playing my guitars, I'm actually a little grossed out by that accumulation of gunk on your volume knob.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was more than a little grossed out by the gunk, had to wash my hands AFTER playing the guitar for the first time last fall ;) I cleaned it up on the second day of owning it. Just never came around to posting the pics until now. I blame NAMM.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I did too ;) Thanks guys, labor of love.

The official 1987 Ibanez shim, the secret behind the glory days of Ibanez ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I notice that a bunch of ibanez guitars needed shims to get the neck angle right. Is this because they did not angle the neck pocket right or was it just that the tolerance allowed for such big differences? I know the warmoth bodies I have bought have the pockets milled to eliminate the need for a shim.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Great job! :)
Congratulations on the find too, Happy belated NGD!
I fell into one last year. 1990 RG550 in Coral Mist. Dirty like yours, and a cracked neck! But thanks to Ibanezrules.com I was able to fix the neck and clean it up and it's now my favorite guitar. :)
Love these now, I hope you're loving yours like I love mine. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Love those old MIJ rg's, great job man. yes, i did celan mine with some sort of organic dishwasher and toothbrush... do it, don't be shy :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I notice that a bunch of ibanez guitars needed shims to get the neck angle right. Is this because they did not angle the neck pocket right or was it just that the tolerance allowed for such big differences? I know the warmoth bodies I have bought have the pockets milled to eliminate the need for a shim.
I don't know, but like you said, most of them need it. At least to get proper pull up range on the trem. Guess it's difficult to mill wood to such an exact minute angle and have it be the same on every guitar.

Thanks again guys :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That guitar was full of DNA. Gross.

When Fender custom shop did Clapton and Hendix guitar reissues, they went through some originals from owners and there was stuff like that, only older and green which was old sweat from those players. Sweat turns green and the caked on stuff literally eats away at wood, paint, and metal so at least I know I do my laundry often enough.

Of course, being that it was to check out guitar for the purposes of Fender getting it right, they didn't wipe it off green gunk nor should anybody! (of course I assume your guitar isn't a historical rock star guitar so wipe away and buff that puppy). But I am glad you were able to take it apart and clean it thoroughly, unlike let's say a '58 strat where even taking off the neck would be akin to historical treason. ;) But whatever you do, don't sand and refinish the maple neck. I had a similarly worn '68 tele maple neck that the idiot who owned the guitar before me refinished to brand new factory shininess. My '65 tele maple neck was so gunked up for many years that the mold/dirt literally made parts of the neck dry rotted and spongy so luthier gently sanded off parts of edges to remove encroaching maple decay and refinish in matte without making it look like anything was done. It was done by him without my permission but if he had said nothing I would not have noticed so it was that undetectable. But the next time I get a ratted out maple neck, I will only clean it and if dry rot is a part of the equation, with pits and blackness (made that way partly by e-coli our famous friend) like on Keith Richard's tele in a collection I have seen, by all means don't do anything at all other than scrape off the mushrooms that want to grow there. ;)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts