Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jemsite! This is my first post; thanks for having me!

I found a 1987 RG550 in my neighborhood in Road Flare Red (RFR I hear it referred to as) and its in decent/good shape. The guy took pretty good care of it but there are plenty of smaller dings and a dent near the jack. It's unique in that it has no holes where the plastic back plate would normally screw into-- thought that was kinda interesting. It also has a sticker on the back of the headstock with the serial number on it. I haven't seen that either.

My questions:: How does it compare to the early JEM in-terms of overall quality? I think it has an EDGE tremelo and Wizard I neck. It feels solid and the pickups have a lot of punch.

He wants $450 for it. Do you think that's a fair price? It comes with a case.

My other concern is that the bar itself has a little bit of play. The tremelo feels tight but you can feel its not quite locked in when you're trilling it. Easy to fix?

Thanks a whole bunch guys!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The arm should be easy to fix.

About the price, you could get them cheaper. But if you like the guitar, it's worth it.
What do you think is a fair price? It has a nasty rash from a strap slip that went through the paint by the jack. Jack is OK but its pretty noticeable. Also, I'm digging to see if anyone has "gripes" with the early RG550s. Do you know of any? Thanks for staying up!

·
Registered
91 Posts
A total of 37 (thirty-seven) 1987 year RG550s have been sold on *bay since June 2008. The highest price paid was $857, the lowest $265. The average price is $455. This is for all types of case queens, players, damaged, dinged, dented and/or pristine specimens.

·
Super Moderator
7,439 Posts
I've got a white 1990 RG550 that's absolutely brilliant. The neck feels a lot thinner than the JEM from that era.

I've also got a white 1987 RG560 that's just arrived (in non-working order) from the 'bay. that's got a sticker serial number.

You can get them cheaper, but not by much and possibly not for one in good condition from the first year of manufacture.

If you like the guitar and it plays well, treat yourself :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A total of 37 (thirty-seven) 1987 year RG550s have been sold on *bay since June 2008. The highest price paid was $857, the lowest $265. The average price is $455. This is for all types of case queens, players, damaged, dinged, dented and/or pristine specimens.
Word Stratman! Thanks for the reference. For future purchases, how did you find that stat? Sounds like a tool I'd bug out over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ugggghhhh reading this thread makes me think I just overpaid a few hundred on a Original MIJ RG550 Desert Yellow in pretty great condition....although, I've been looking for a LOOOOOOONG time on a certain auction site and never saw one in decent shape (at least in Desert Yellow), so I jumped on his BUY IT NOW.

$450 is definitely a good price if it's in good condition. BUY IT!!!

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
What's so great about the OLD RG550?
(I've got one myself, but it needs some work before it is playable)
Better quality control during that time, older generation people are more dedicated in making, building things ;) You probably got a beat up like hell rg 550. I've tested a lot of prestiges and none of them can challenge the older MIJ RGs. I worked part time as a guitar tech at a local music store here and there's tons of guitars I've tested. I still prefer older RGs and S series.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have two RG550's..a '90 and an '87 and hte $450 is worth it in my opinion..

also i still have my original '90 RG570PN (bought brand new in '90)..still stock (im the only owner)

all pros in my opinion:

playability..i like them for the neck, body style ,comfortability and its an Ibanez

best feeling and playing electric i have EVER played

put some DiMarzios in it and you cant beat the sound

·
Vendor
26,528 Posts
Better quality control during that time, older generation people are more dedicated in making, building things ;) You probably got a beat up like hell rg 550. I've tested a lot of prestiges and none of them can challenge the older MIJ RGs. I worked part time as a guitar tech at a local music store here and there's tons of guitars I've tested. I still prefer older RGs and S series.
Please be very specific, and tell us all exactly what quality control was at all better? Because my experience is VASTLY different.

·
Super Moderator
7,439 Posts
I used to have the same opinion, but now I reckon that the older RGs that we see have simply had all the problems ironed out by years of tweaking and setups.

I'd warrant that my 1990 RG550 plays better than any new Prestige guitar, simply because i've spent time and money getting it to play that way. It's past its best though and will soon be in need of a refret, and I reckon these are the ones that folks are raving about.

A decent guitar with a top set up will play brilliantly, regardless of whether it says "prestige" on the headstock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well....

I bought it!... and its a perfect guitar. The neck is super comfortable, the USA made DiMarzio pickups have a lot of definition, the volume knob is fast, the tremelo is exactly what I was looking for & the color could land an airplane (RFR).

I'm going to take it to Thomas to get setup. I have a feeling he'll know exactly what I'm dealing with; ahem. Pics on their way.

I gotta try the guitar through the Carvin x60B series III which I bought on craigslist for $60 a few months ago. Gotta love The Valley!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts