Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've forgotten more about older Ibanezs than I can recall. I need someone's help with some pickups. I understand that the IBZ/USA C2 & C3 singles can closely compare to other Dimarzio pups but what about the earlier IBZ/USA single coils with no other markings? I have a two of these pups that were in an '88 RG540 and I was thinking about dropping them in an alder strat body. I still need a single for the bridge but what kind of Dimarzio IBZ/USA's do I have? It would help me to know when I pick a bridge pup.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
REALLY!?! Nobody on Jemsite remembers what the late '80s IBZ/USA singles compare with in the stable of Dimarzio?
Before someone replies with the insightful "contact Dimarzio", that's no good.
If you've ever contacted Dimarzio before for some info you'd know it's something similar to getting the seven secret herbs & spices recipe from the Colonel.

No one, huh?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
That's not true. DiMarzio have info in their FAQ about a number of OEM pickups. Contact them and they should be able to give you some details. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Those single coil IBZUSA pups are DP116's. Very low output (90). Probably ok for clean strat play. Give it a try at least, since you have them already.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
They're a lot like HS-2's but they don't have 4-conductors (well they kind of do but the coil junction is taped right at the pickup) I think I found some other differences but I can't remember now. Splitting to the top coil sounds much better if you don't need hum cancelling. the magnets are short, shorter than the recommended length/diameter ratio. So they're likely to degauss more quickly over time than a longer strat pole. If it sounds too weak or soft and you have the ability, have it recharged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts