Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the guitar Steve is holding on the cover of Young Guitar from March 1988? Is it an early prototype with pyramids before they settled on the vine inlay? Are there any other known photos of this guitar?

·
Super Moderator
7,321 Posts
My understanding is that that one is indeed the prototype. There were a few other photos from the Skyscraper era floating around the Internet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes, he played that guitar live for the first time in 1987 at the Guitarmania show during 1987 NAMM, just after the release of the original neon trio. Dealears wanted that finish too so Ibanez had to produce it in mass and was released in 1988 but with the vine inlay. Steve gave that guitar to his friend fron Western Vacation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that guitar in one of my Vai guitar tab books. I really dig the disappearing pyramid inlays with a rosewood fretboard like the Multicolor 7 string Universe. If Ibanez/Vai came out with a floral JEM with those disappearing pyramid inlays, I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, the pyramids really look cool on an FP. I found a couple more pix. Also, on this prototype, the black burst on the edge of the body is thinner than the production guitars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts