Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I was able to score a 1988 Jem Floral and am getting it all set up. Probably a dumb question, but to my surprise the neck seems to have no sealant / finish at all. I found this out because using lemon oil on the fretboard a small bit of it dripped underneath to the back of the neck, and it was absorbed instead of beading up. Is it likely the finish has just worn completely off after 30 years, or is there a chance these guitars didn't have finished necks? I have to think it just wore off over the years, but wanted to check.

Also, if I need to seal it, I'd love some recommendations. I've heard good things about Tru-Oil...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Chances are someone along the line didn't really care for that finish on the back And just sanded it off. None of my guitars have any finish they are all oil rubbed. Not really a fan of satin or clear coat finishes on my necks. A lot of people use tongue oil but even fingerboard oil works good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just reshaped and sanded the neck on my 7 string. I put a few coats of F-1 oil on it. I love that oil. It has many uses, not just for fretboards. I would avoid Gerlitz Guitar Honey though as it tends to leave a waxy build up.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i once owned an 88 desert sun yellow with no finish on the neck...i thought it was pretty common with the older jems but i could be wrong...d.m.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts