Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up an old RG 750 for my 12-yr old son for 120.00. There is no headstock serial number, and the plate serial number is 8911912. It says Made in Korea. I thought this model was made in Japan. Does anyone know if these guitars were made in Korean factories too? It looks like a 750, although the shark tooth inlays are just a little bit different than the pics I've seen of 750s. Everything else about the guitar looks right though.
Thanks for your help.
-Joel

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
That looks a lot like a 450, which were made in Korea. Those are the typical sharkFIN inlays indiginous to the 450s, not the sharkTOOTH inlays of the higher end series. Plus, that's a TRS trem, not an Edge--which would be on a 500 or 700 series.

·
Registered
69 Posts
also, appears that the fretboard is not bound, all 7** RG's had bound fretboard and headstock. Also, what type of input jack does it have? Neckplates could have been changed, but judging by the neck(and if the pups are supposed to be original, then those too), it looks more like a 450, which as Alaska stated were made in Korea and didn't come with Edge bridge(5** and 7** did). To my knowledge all 7** were Japan made as they were the high end standard production models.

ETA: still at $120.00 if it is in good shape you still got a good deal, not 5** or 7** good, but still a good deal non the less.

hotrod

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you both. Figures it was too good to be true :). Still, it plays very well. I have a 560 that I bought new back in college and this thing plays just as good as my 560, so I think it'll be fine for my boy. Certainly better than a new RG that is in the 150~ price range.

Any suggestions on where I could find a tremelo arm for this thing?

I appreciate your help!!
-Joel

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I'd let the guy know what an idiot he is for advertising as a 750 ;)
As far as the trem bar, check with Rich--he's got just about every paret anyone could ever need. Ibanezrules.com
I've also got to know where in Cincy you are! RG Man is there, and I spent most of my life in Amelia before I went off to the Air Force in 1990. Who-Dey!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, yea I just looked at the catalog on that site (thanks!) and it does look just like the E/X 350. Damn. Oh well, my son currently has a little 3/4 size Fender squire that's a POS, so he'll be moving up in the world anyway.

I'm in Montgomery (NE side)--glad to hear from a former Cincy guy!

Glad to find this site, you guys have been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Not an RG750. It's an EX350, which also has triangle inlays. It has a more radiused body edge.

EX350:

Not a terrible guitar, but lesser in value than an RG450, and much lower than an RG750.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wouldn't install anything in that, especially if it's just a "learning" guitar for his son. When he gets to a certain skill point, then buy him(or help him buy) a new one...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, he wouldn't notice the difference in sound at this point. Give him another year though, and I may stick a SD Distortion in there like I have in my 560.

I just put new Ernie Balls on it today, and it plays very nicely, but the action is too low on the A string--somebody lowered that saddle too much. I've never played with adjusting the saddle height, always paid somebody to do all the major setup stuff. I guess I'm going to have to figure it out, because the open A has a slight buzz.

Anyway, overall I'm impressed with the guitar--it cleaned up well and sounds good for 120 bucks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts