Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I took the pick guard off my 1990 777DY and noticed some strange wiring coming out the middle pickup - thin wires - leading into some white taped area - as seen in the pics.

I'm the second owner. It's never been modified. Is this how it should be?

Appreciate your input!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Looks like someone has tried earthing the pickup mounting screws. Maybe they were getting some earthing related buzzing and this is their fix?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like someone has tried earthing the pickup mounting screws. Maybe they were getting some earthing related buzzing and this is their fix?
Hey thanks for the reply

Sorry, I should have pointed out the wires running across the screen are just the strings from the guitar. Is that what you meant?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Nope, the other wire I see (besides the coil wiring) is a bare wire leading to the middle pickup screw/spring assembly. Is this the wire you were talking about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, the other wire I see (besides the coil wiring) is a bare wire leading to the middle pickup screw/spring assembly. Is this the wire you were talking about?
Ah! I'd not even seen that before!

I was referring to the thin black and red wires coming out of the middle pickup that seem to disappear into that white tape. It just looks a bit gash!

That other wire though; no idea what that's about but well spotted!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ah! Yours are the V1 (Vai 1) paf-pro pick-ups! Mine are unmarked (first run), then the V1 came out and finally the paf-pro DP151. Some say that the unmarked and V1 sound better than the DP151 and drool over them, but maybe it’s just mystic to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah! Yours are the V1 (Vai 1) paf-pro pick-ups! Mine are unmarked (first run), then the V1 came out and finally the paf-pro DP151. Some say that the unmarked and V1 sound better than the DP151 and drool over them, but maybe it's just mystic to it.
Hey thanks for the response. I've learned something new about the guitar tonight. Didn't realise there were variations on the pick up types. Thanks!

Any idea what that bare wire is running into the middle pick up? Quite hard to see it unless you zoom in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts