Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Regarding neck set up on my RG. I'm getting fret buzz on the first fret from the ADGB strings. The string height at the 24th fret is at 2mm for the low E and about the same (maybe 1.9mm) for the high E which I think is a bit high but lowering the bridge at the trem posts is not really an option as that makes the buzz worse.

There appears to be a slight amount of relief in the neck. I don't have the tools to accurately measure it but .3mm at the 9th while fretting the 1st and 24th looks plausible.

Could I shim the nut to give me clearance at the 1st fret then lower the bridge OR put more relief in the neck then lower the bridge?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
When you say "first fret," are you saying that the string is buzzing on open, and seems to be hitting the first fret because when you fret at the first fret it clears up? Or are you saying that when you fret the first fret, it buzzes?

If the firmer, then you absolutely want to shim the nut - Rich sells dedicated brass shims, but a cutout from a soda can or folded aluminum foil works in a pinch too. If the latter, to me that sounds like a slightly high second fret, and while increasing neck relief might help a tiny bit, more likely than not you're going to want some attention from a tech to lower that fret slightly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A nasty case of cowboy chords on one of the fastest necks ever made, it sounds like you need a fret level and crown if fretting the first buzzes on four out of the six strings.

If you're saying it's rattling against the first fret when played open then you definitely need to shim the nut first to stop that, then set the neck relief to 12 thou and work on the action from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks All for the advice. The strings are buzzing when played open so I guess the nut shim is the first step.

Sepulchrave, would you mind explaining the truss rod adjustment you mentioned. I've done a bit of set up work before on my own gear but its my first time doing a rod adjust.

Thanks again

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks All for the advice. The strings are buzzing when played open so I guess the nut shim is the first step.

Sepulchrave, would you mind explaining the truss rod adjustment you mentioned. I've done a bit of set up work before on my own gear but its my first time doing a rod adjust.

Thanks again
Sure, the way I set necks is to put a capo on just behind the first fret, fret the low E string at the 17th and measure the gap between the string and the top of the 7th fret, a 12 thou feeler or a thin business card should just slip in there without lifting the string, if the clearance is tight loosen the truss rod 1/8 of a turn if the clearance is excessive tighten it 1/8 turn, repeat until you have it correct, retune the guitar to pitch and check for buzzing at every fret, if it still buzzes open then shim the nut using brass half-shims you can insert from the sides of the nut without destringing the guitar, you need to lift the entire nut so you'll need two shims, one for each side, you can dive the trem to remove string tension and clamp the arm to the body with a speed clamp, wrap the arm in cloth so it doesn't mark the body, this way you can loosen the two bolts holding the nut enough to slip the shims in then release the clamp and check that the buzzing is gone. Now you can set the action and intonation the way you like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts