1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1991 RG565/550 "Franken-Swirl" Project

- 1991 RG565 Fully Scalloped Neck w/Ibanez Hardware in Black

- "550" Body with "Unknown Swirl", Original RG550 Pickguard & Neck Plate

- DiMarzio Air Norton (Neck)/Duncan Twang Banger (Middle)/DiMarzio "Prototype" F (Bridge) wired to Gibson 500K Volume/Fender TBX Tone/Fender 5 Way Super Switch to Original Ibanez Jack

- 1999 Ibanez Edge in Cosmo Black

·
Registered
764 Posts
Drooling all over the wood of that neck...Wait a minute that didn't come out right...Oooo either did that...I can't wait to see this guitar when it's done...There that sounds better to the ear...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am hoping that it is going to be one Helluva Fine Playing Mutt when it's done. I love the Scalloped Neck and the Swirled RG550 Body.

I've always regretted selling my '87 RG550DY, '91 RG550RFR, '89 540S Maple Board & 540P guitars when I got the "Vintage Fender" Bug in the 90s. Hopefully, this will be a suitable replacement for them!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got the completed project back today and DAMN....it's one hot guitar...Vintage Square Heel Ibanez RG550 Style!!! Feels just like an old friend already.

Plays great w/the scalloped neck, smooth operating Edge Trem and wicked DiMarzio & Duncan Pickup Set (Air Norton/Twang Banger/"Prototype" F).

I am really liking the DiMarzio "Prototype" F Spaced Bridge Humbucker so far...hot but still "meaty".

I'll try to post completed pics soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's going to be quite something. That neck - wow, want that neck!

I'm in the same boat as you, got into Teles and Strats in a big way for years having played Ibanez back in the day. I've just got an old RG570 and I'm loving it, these are great guitars and to the initiated will be classics one day (if not already). Got to drop some DiMarzios in mine next, but as it stands I'm loving every minute of that super skinny flat radius neck and the divebomb madness of having an Edge again.

Keep us posted with this beast! Got to love a swirl...

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
I just wished the headstock matched better, even a black one or a sanded finish would be better :(

I have to say that's one of my fave "aftermarket" swirls out there though, and I love the fact that a bitsa guitar like this has a "prototype" pickup, that's exactly what this sort of beast should have :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind comments. It's an amalgamation of Ibanez parts alright, but this one was built to be kept out and played and a good player was what I was shooting for. Thus far, I have not been disappointed!

Still dialing in the pickup heights, so I got to spend about an hour and a half playing it last night after getting back from the Rockies vs. Mets game. I ran it through a few pedals (Overdrive-Distortion-Noise Reduction-'79 Marshall JMP 2x12 Combo w/Celestion Greenbacks) to see which ones it liked and which ones it didn't. Sounded really nice w/the Zakk Wylde OD-Boss Keeley "Twilight Zone"-Noise Reduction pairing. I also decided that I'm going to pick up a Bell Brass Sustain Block off of "that auction site" and install it - should have done that prior to getting it assembled.

Yeah, the HS "clashes" for sure but I just can't see changing it as the HS is in great condition and it would be "for appearance sake" only. Doesn't bother me fortunately. The irony of it is that under the Swirl...the body was/is Laser Blue...original color shows in the trem cavity where a bit of the Swirl had come off. Figures huh? :)

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I second the idea of sanding down the headstock. It looks like the existing paint is already somewhat destroyed where the blue paint and Ibanez logo is scraped, unless that is camera glare. The body is pretty intense. Looks like somebody threw up pepperoni pizza all over your 'black' rg550 body! cool though, really wild! Gotta love the scalloped neck. I have one too for my custom RG550 project, I love it! And that flame grain to the back of that neck on yours is superb! thumbs up!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
COMPLETED!!!

1991 RG565 Neck - Fully Scalloped w/Ibz-Gotoh Hardware

1987 RG550 Swirled Body

Pickups:

DiMarzio Air Norton - Neck
Seymour Duncan Twang Banger - Middle
DiMarzio Tone Zone F - Bridge

Controls:

500K Gibson Volume
Fender TBX Tone
Fender 5 Way Super Switch
Original Output Jack

1999 Ibanez Edge Tremolo Cosmo Black

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am McLovin' everything about this guitar, but I am upgrading the Edge Trem Sustain Block from the stock to a "HOOCKEY" Brass Block this week!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Too late...it's already in the process.

Not that it sounded bad w/the stock block (the DiMarzio "Prototype" Bridge Pickup ABSOLUTELY SCREAMS), but I've got brass blocks on my '88 B.C. Rich Gunslinger, '87 Kramer E.E. SC-3 Tele, '89 Kramer Tele Custom, '88 Barrington BRG-884TC and '90 Robin Raider (undergoing refinish) and I really like the tone/note definition/clarity and sustain of the brass blocks.

I can only anticipate an improvement here as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts