Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so in my interminable quest to get a maple fretboard shred machine, I've found a nice Ibanez RG550, made in 1994 for sale, for a good price.

I know that the specs on the 550 changed from Edge to the Lo Pro at some point, so this one as the Lo Pro, as it's from 94.

My question: are these 94 models "good"? I mean, there's something else I should aware of, something like are the first models (Edge ones) "better", or have more "mojo"? Is there something as "better years" for a 550 or something?

Or should I just run and buy it?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Run and buy it. I have a 93 Candy Apple (it originally is supposed to have Lo pro but it has OE) and it's great.

I also have a 1990 RG560 and it's supposed to have an OE but it has a lo pro. I like that one too :) Square heel neck joint bothers me as I'm used to AANJ, but they (the OE and Lo pro) both play equally well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have 2 and a 560 if it's in good shape run and grab it they are shred machines (and I am a long time Jackson/Charvel guy)
I love my old Rg's

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
A 20 year old RG? Not only is it the great and heavily recorded RG with respectable trem, but it has some collector value in the Ibanez world. What's not to like?

It's kind of like somebody asking if they think a early-80s Dan Smith strat or pre-CBS strat is good or if a Les Paul Standard (Nashville factory) is good. These are things which are heavily respected among players and when we are talking about Ibanez, few things are more respected than a MIJ RG model. It's considered in the heyday of good RGs. Some may say a few years earlier is the absolute prime but a MIJ '94 is up there. Run and get it.

Below are some good comments from people who really know Ibanez. I used to think all Ibanezes were golden era because they surpassed other companies but that is not what Ibanez experts are talking about. The serious talk around golden era compares Ibanez against Ibanez which is comparing good versus better. I like Rich's comment on post #15:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/golden-era-and-the-ups-and-downs-of-ibanez-101953.html

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Check and make sure the neck isn't warped, but other than that go for it. I have a '92 and its a fine instrument, but I did need to have the frets leveled to alleviate a tiny warp. Nothing you can feel and you likely wouldn't ever be able to tell if I didn't tell you ;) But as everyone else says, they are great guitars and they do seem to be going up in value fairly steadily lately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check and make sure the neck isn't warped, but other than that go for it. I have a '92 and its a fine instrument, but I did need to have the frets leveled to alleviate a tiny warp. Nothing you can feel and you likely wouldn't ever be able to tell if I didn't tell you ;) But as everyone else says, they are great guitars and they do seem to be going up in value fairly steadily lately.
The problem is that I'll buy it online, have to trust the seller about this neck warped or not...

·
Registered
274 Posts
1994 should be the first year of the AANJ applied to RG guitars (if i'm not mistaken).
make sure you know the difference between AANJ and Square heel:
AANJ: more access, less beating your hand with the squared heel, less sustain
Square heel: more sustain, more beating your hand towards the joint, less access. Did I mention MORE SUSTAIN!?

Regarding the neck: 1994 was still a good year for neck feel. The Wizards were still good and craftmanship was at a high level, as you would expect from japanese samurai. Of course it better not be warped.

It will be a great guitar!
What color is it?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
1994 should be the first year of the AANJ applied to RG guitars (if i'm not mistaken).
make sure you know the difference between AANJ and Square heel:
AANJ: more access, less beating your hand with the squared heel, less sustain
Square heel: more sustain, more beating your hand towards the joint, less access. Did I mention MORE SUSTAIN!?

Regarding the neck: 1994 was still a good year for neck feel. The Wizards were still good and craftmanship was at a high level, as you would expect from japanese samurai. Of course it better not be warped.

It will be a great guitar!
What color is it?
Tell my 98 rg685 that aanj doesn't sustain as good as square heel.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Sustain really should have to do with how much wood on wood contact you have between neck and body. Theoretically an AANJ that is wood to wood should sustain better than an old style heel that has been shimmed, which creates a gap (however tiny). However, wood is organic and different from piece to piece so as always, YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts