Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a completely standard Ibanez 970XL (baritone model) I absolutely love. The tone zone paired with the blue velvet single is perfect for me. I only ever use the bridge and bridge+single positions on the pickup selector, which I am going to say are positions 5 and 4 in the HSH guitar. Can you please tell me the correct terminology of the position 4? I don’t understand if it’s split, tapped, series parallel etc etc etc. All I know is that the bridge and single are working together somehow, and I think only one coil of the bridge is enabled??

I only use one channel on my amp and switching the pickup switch from 5 to 4 and picking lightly gets me a clean tone and a dirty tone without using pedals etc which I find suits me best.

As for my question. I’ve bought another baritone guitar, a PRS mike mushok. I dislike the standard bridge pickup and am planning on putting a IBZ USA F2 in instead as I understood it’s similar to the tone zone.

Since the mushok is a HH guitar with a 3 way switch, not a HSH and 5 way like the ibanez, can you please send me a wiring diagram so I can have the neck only, bridge only and the whatever the correct terminology is for the 4th position on the Ibanez, or whatever is as similar as I can get, seeing as the neck is a HB not a single? Would that be inside coils of both pickups? Is that split, tapped, parallel, etc etc etc?
The dimarzio site, when selecting 2 humbucker, 3 way, 1 vol 1 tone (not 3 way push pull, toggle, etc etc) shows you results for push pulls etc when you don't select them

2 Humbucker, 1 DPDT (Inside Coils or Outside Coils); Neck, Neck & Bridge, Bridge
2 Humbucker, 1 DPDT (Split Neck & Bridge); Neck, Neck & Bridge, Bridge
2 Humbucker, 1 Push-Pull Tone (Split Neck & Bridge), 1 DPDT (Dual Sound Bridge); Neck, Neck & Bridge, Bridge
2 Humbucker, 1 Push-Pull Tone (Split Neck & Bridge); Neck, Neck & Bridge, Bridge

I do have a spare vlx91 5 way switch if that is not possible with the 3 way that comes with the prs. I also have spare, brand new pot and caps purchased from Ibanez, identical model numbers to the 970xl.

Thank you for your time and help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is a whole slew of info on this subject I can throw at you especially if you get in to the technical aspect but I'll do my best to keep everything short & sweet.

Let's start with a quick understanding of a humbucker pickup. Basically it's 2 single coil pickups wound in opposite directions put in a single housing and connected together in some way either internally (2 wire humbuckers) or externally (4 wire humbuckers). The humbucker was invented as a way to quiet the 60 cycle hum that is produced by a single coil. The opposite windings of each coil in a humbucker cancels out most of that 60 cycle hum resulting in a quieter pickup. Humbuckers can come in several different types, full sized, mini, stacked or split. You can do a search on that for more info. Another way you can look at a humbucker would be in positions 2 & 4 of a 3 single coil pickup guitar like a strat. The middle pickup is wound in the opposite direction of the bridge & neck (or at least it should be). So in position 2 (neck + middle) or 4 (bridge + middle) they are acting just like a humbucker only they're not in the same housing. This same concept can be applied to a humbucker with coil split engaged paired with another single coil. If that's too confusing just disregard those last few sentences and we'll move on.

Series vs Parallel:
Generally you're referring to one humbucking pickup and how the signal flows through it.
In SERIES the 2 coils are connected end to end and flows through one coil then the other in a straight line. In series the puckup is usually more powerful & full sounding.

In PARALLEL the 2 coils are connected together at both ends and the signal flows through both coils at the same time. In parallel the sound is less powerful and a bit thinner/brighter sounding.

If you have a 4 wire pickup you can install a mini toggle switch to select between series and parallel.

Series and parallel can also refer to how 2 separate pickups are wired together. The concept is the same as above but the connections between the 2 pickups are made by a selector switch.

Coil Split/Cut vs Tap:
Many people use these terms interchangeably but it is in fact is wrong to do so.
Coil CUT & SPLIT technically refer to how the signal path is directed but they essentially do the same thing. It's ok to use these two terms interchangeably. Coil split/cut basically takes one coil out of the equation. So in a humbucker only one coil is on. Depending on how it's wired it can either be the north coil or the south coil. The take away from this is that only one coil giving signal not both.

Coil TAP is similar but different from coil split/cut. With coil tapping you are usually referring to a single coil and part way through the coil windings a lead wire is brought out. You will have 2 main lead wires. I call them a primary lead and a secondary lead. The primary lead gives you the full use of the coil winding from start to finish. The secondary lead gives you partial use of the winding from start to the point where the secondary lead is connected to the winding. What you are doing by tapping a coil is reducing the output of the pickup by use of the secondary lead wire.

That should cover the very basics for the first part of your questions. As for your baritone Ibanez, I'm not familiar on how it's all wired up. Refer to the manual to see which pickup/coil is engaged on each selector switch position. Or maybe someone who is familiar with that particular guitar can chime in.

For the PRS guitar you'll end up having to redo the wiring. If you want coil splitting abilities the regular volume & tone pots will have to be replaced with push/pull pots. I suggest using this wiring scheme if you just want the coil tapping on each pickup.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...ckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume0Tone001.html

If you want to get all creative you can do something like this and get coil tapping plus series/parallel wiring.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...ckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume1Tone005.html

One of those two wiring schemes should get you in the vicinity of how the Ibanes is done up.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Nice write-up Mad.... people should try to read and understand this info if they want to better master their own wiring. Maybe you should copy it into the stickied thread as well.

Bluffalo, DiMarzio has this diagram well hidden on their site........ I use it fairly often on H-H guitars. You can add a dpdt switch if you want to include coil splitting.

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1v1t_3w_all.pdf

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, thank you for the replies. It can be so hard to understand when just starting out.

Dimarzio got back to me and said the 970xl was:

"The humbucker is wired to split in position 4 (and the neck humbucker splits in pos. 2). The split humbucker and the middle pickup are combined in parallel, and they are in phase and humcancelling."

So that's the tone I want to get as close as possible by using a neck humbucker instead of the middle single. As I need to split both the neck and bridge, I am thinking I will have to find another neck pickup that has 4 conductor wiring. Correct?

·
Registered
285 Posts
A 4 wire pickup will be best to work with as it will allow more wiring options.

I've been thinking about what may be the best option for you to get what you're after. I'm thinking something to look into would be swapping out the 3 way toggle switch for a 5 position rotary switch.

Go to this link and scroll all the way to the bottom
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...ing_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

You'll see some options for what you can do with the 5 way rotary switch. The last wiring scheme on the page (the PRS series/parallel & coil split one) sounds like what you're after.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really want more options, a two way switch would do fine haha :) so the three way would do.

Clean/Crunch are the only two sounds I use. No pedals, no changing amp channels, just two sounds that are excellent, not 10 that a mediocre.

I'll be hunting a 4 conductor dimarzio neck pickup :)

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I don't really want more options, a two way switch would do fine haha :) so the three way would do.

Clean/Crunch are the only two sounds I use. No pedals, no changing amp channels, just two sounds that are excellent, not 10 that a mediocre.

I'll be hunting a 4 conductor dimarzio neck pickup :)
If you want an Air Norton I have a black/white zebra one, and am in Australia too. PM me if you're interested. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts