Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

There two serial numbers behind my RG1880's headstock :

one is the regular one F99XXXXXXX and the other one is written with red characters, without the "F" and the number is not the same.

What does it mean ?
Why has it been numbered twice ?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know : i'll check it tonight

actually I got it from Brent who got it from another guy who bought it in Japan

it's difficult to have informations about it ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am pretty sure all J-Customs have two numbers, one that has the traditional Ibanez "FXX....." numbering system and some special J-Custom or "limited edition" number. All of the J-Custom models that I have owned that were made before 2001 had both numbers on the headstock (though it was not red, that may be unique to your model). Oddly enough I think my RG2420 (prestige) has two numbers as well, which is why I am thinking it is something they do with their more limited production guitars. Also all of my post 2001 J-Customs have two numbers but not on the headstock, one is in the J-Custom certificate and the other is engraved on the back of the headstock. I wonder if anyone knows what the other number is, I have been a little curious since I bought my J-Customs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, you are right, it's written in black...

the short number is 990214 and the other one is F9905394

Maybe was it the 214th J custom of the year ?

My other j Custom (SC3120Nt) from 1998 only has the regular serial number...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was just looking through my notes... a few of the guitars I had with dual serial numbers were the RG1880, RG-ART, RG1680x, and RG2420 (there may have been others... I can't find any record of the serial #'s for my RG2680m.) I don't know if any of them but the ART were really limited edition, but it certainly seems that the dual serial numbering was common on the high end guitars (J-Customs, Prestiges) made for the Japanese market. My late model RG770FM, however, only had a single number according to my records.

--B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts