Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys...i have a question. i recently formed a band again after 6 years of doing nothing. anyway, i have a speaker cab and thinking about getting a 2nd one. i don't know much about the impedence, etc etc. and i'm not an electrician.

anyway, will it be a huge difference with 2 cabs? will the sound be better from a loudness standpoint? does it alleviate some "strain" on the first cab by getting a 2nd? pros and cons to the 2 vs. 1?

right now i'm running a line6 pod pro through a BBE to a mesa boogie 50/50 power amp. the cab i have now is a CRATE and i replaced the cheap stock crate speakers with 50 watt celestions years ago.

the cab right now has 3 inputs i believe....stereo left and right and one for mono. i guess i would use the mono one when i use a 2nd cab. i have it hooked up now left AND right coming off the 50/50. i know this is a basic question but i spent all my time playing on the 1 cab and never needed the 2. i'm looking for a fuller sound during band practices.

oh, we do metal by the way....like old school metallica and i have a great anthrax tone...zack wylde, etc.

thanks!
steve

·
Registered
91 Posts
i believe the ohm impedence is four ohms for 2 cabs(but i'm not sure).as for sound,when my friend started using a full stack i did notice there was a less strain or maybe more clarity in his sound.i didn't notice much in volume difference but hopefully you don't need to be that loud during practice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
shredmaster said:
right now i'm running a line6 pod pro through a BBE to a mesa boogie 50/50 power amp.
Hi. I'm thinking of going for a similar set-up, probably a Pod XT Pro through either a Mesa or Marshall Valve rack power-amp and a BBE.
How does your set-up sound ? Does the tube power-amp give it a bit of 'warmth'? Can you get nice tight distortion sounds through that rig?

As to your question i think if you can afford a second cab it will benefit your sound, especially as you have a set-up that can be run in stereo.

If you put one cab on each side of the stage it would sound great with any stereo effects and give you an excellent overall prescence and definitely a fuller sound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
okay i may have found something.i have a carvin legacy at 100 watts,so i am not sure if this will apply to your amp.
"Is the impedance switch set to 16 ohms? With the Legacy 4x12, the imp will be 16 ohms. If you have a full stack, set the switch to 8 ohms."
this was from a carvin discussion board.hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
knarfzednem said:
i believe the ohm impedence is four ohms for 2 cabs(but i'm not sure).
You can't make generalizations like this. It depends on the cabs, if it is 2 - 8 ohm cabinets run in parallel off the same (mono, or one side of a stereo) power amp, it is an 8 ohm load.

If you need 2 cabinets and are running a 100W tube power amp at practice and still having trouble hearing yourself, please wear ear protection, you'll thank yourself in 10 years. One 4-12 cabinet should be plenty loud. That said, another one will spread the sound out nicely and you'll get more coverage. If you don't mind haulling 2 cabs, I say go for it.

Roger

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
knarfzednem said:
okay i may have found something.i have a carvin legacy at 100 watts,so i am not sure if this will apply to your amp.
"Is the impedance switch set to 16 ohms? With the Legacy 4x12, the imp will be 16 ohms. If you have a full stack, set the switch to 8 ohms."
this was from a carvin discussion board.hope it helps.
Right on. With a 16 ohm cabinet, you set the impedance on the amp to 16 ohms.

With 2 16 ohm cabinets, you set the impedance to 8 ohms.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much guys! that is great help! yeah, i guess my biggest question, as you have addressed is....will it help spread the sound? i was wondering if some of the tone is sacrificed due to louder volumes. example...like your pc running faster if you double the ram (double the guitar cabs)....you know what i mean? if it is more evenly-spaced with the 2nd cab, then the tone may be better.

i really get confused on the ohms, etc. not sure what to set it. 16 ohms with 1 cab and 8 oms for 2....etc. i could NEVER understand that.

anyway, i LOVE my tone! i can get really ANY sound i want with the pod. i never experimented with it. i use the tones right out of the box and i only use 2....clean and saturated distortion like a mesa rectifier.

i like my rhythm guitars to get that tight bottom end sound like what stryper had....remember them? or anthrax....that really tight bottom end CHUN CHUN CHUN sound! i get that and more. the BBE really helps with that and that tube amp...mesa does give it warmth. i would NEVER go back to solid state power amps after using this 50 / 50 mesa.

the secret to my tone is that BBE. without it, it just wouldn't be as tight....you NEED that regardless of your style.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The "secret" formula for calculating parallel loads is Rtotal = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/Rx...). Most cases the cabs are the same impedance so it is just half of one cab, i.e. two 16 ohm cabs are an 8 ohm load. This is if they are both plugged into the same power amp. Your Mesa 50/50 is actually 2 mono power amps, so if you have an one 8 ohm cabinet plugged into each side, each side should be set to 8 ohms. If you have two 8 ohm cabinets plugged into each side (total of 4 cabinets), then each side would be set to 4 ohms. Make sense?

Roger

·
Registered
178 Posts
Something I was wondering a while back: What would you set the amp to if you wanted to run a 2x12 and a 4x12, say 8 ohms and 16 ohms respectively or whatever. By the general formula, that would suggest you set the amp at 12 ohms, yet most have just 4, 8 and 16 settings. What would be the correct way to do this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts