Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks i finally decided to get a universe 777bk, now i have the choice in the store between two brand new unis, a 2002 and a 2005 one, which do u think i should get? is the new neck a major change in the tone of the axe?
and should i take the new or old bridge?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the theory is that it will be less susceptible to warpage and breaks at the headstock, due to three independent pieces of maple as opposed to one, and the two strips of walnut (wenge?) which are a harder wood. whether or not it's really necessary is debatable.

it sure looks cool.

·
Registered
334 Posts
marianozz said:
I personally would pick the '02 for the Lo Pro... :)
I second that. I'm ready to scrap the Edge Pro in my '04 RG2770FM and retrofit things for an LPE. Definitely go back to the LPE-equipped UV.

-R

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ralph khoury said:
what is the purpose of having a 5 piece neck? more resistance?
That's the theory, but I don't think the '05 neck makes it the more desirable of the two. My understanding is that the stripes are too thin to really affect stability. They're more for looks. I would probably go for the '02, as was said, for the lo-pro. If you prefer new guitars that you can bang up yourself, I'd go with the '05 (from Rich of course!).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I will hit the 2005 model

like edgo pro (sorry guys don't beat me for that) and the 5p neck just feels better to my taste. more stabile in tunnig and I hope the neck will probably stay straight longer. Also this chanege the tone.didn't play so can't say in which way (the good or bad)

but the best for me is the little part of wood (sorry but I have no idea how to name it in english on the back side of the neck under nut.(collar ??don't know) I like this a lot ,more comfortable and always hit the 1 fret not into the nut when I'm making some slides from high possitions to low

pic: (can't put a pic any ideas?? how to use the manage attachments?)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Multi-piece necks are a bit more stable, but they're really just an extra - they're not necessary at all. I have two early 1990's RG guitars that are much more stable than my brand new '04 RG2770 - and they used 1-pc. maple in the early 90's. The '04 neck feels a little better than the '90's RG's do, but overall, they older RG's are more easily adjusted, stay in tune better, and I haven't touched the truss rod on either of them in years. Seems like I'm messing with the setup on my 2004 weekly, and it changes just as frequently. The other nice thing about the '02 UV is that it'll have had a few years to settle and setting it up won't be a problem. A new one will be quirky because it's just that - new. The wood, the glue, the springs, the nut, the trem posts... nothing will have that "settled" or have a more stable feel to it. That's what drives me the craziest about my new RG... it just feels as though it needs time to congeal and become a more solid instrument, and only time does that to a guitar.

-R

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You mean the "volute"... but if i remember right, by '02 necks were alrady tagged "prestige", so, the '02 should also have a volute instead of a scarf joint...(i think)

And Bluestreak, be careful, you will need to do some routing work to put a Lo Pro in there... ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
marianozz said:
And Bluestreak, be careful, you will need to do some routing work to put a Lo Pro in there... ;)
Thanks for the head up, but unfortunately, I'm fully aware of that fact... I keep telling myself to give the guitar more time to settle in, and in time, it'll right itself. But I have zero patience when it comes to this...

I have stopped myself from doing the conversion about a half dozen times - every time I see the right finish LPE on EvilBay, I close the browser before I just buy it and break out the router!

-R

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Theory behind a multi-ply neck is strength. Unfortunately, very little tone carries through multiple-glued neck pieces- you lose some of the tone of the guitar as a trade-off to non-warpage.

I would personally take the chance for the tone.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Ralph, get whichever one you like better and forget what people here think.

And for those of you who can't stand to live with your Edge Pro bridges, just send them to me ... I will gladly take them off your hands. :) (No, i'm not offering to buy them.) There's nothing wrong with the Edge Pro that a stud mod can't fix ... which would be true for the LP too if it didn't have locking studs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts