Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a used 2002 RG250 made in Janap, SN F0214621.
The guitar is in good shape, has a Gotoh floyd rose and tuners, neck Duncan 59 with one braided connector, stock single coil middle and bridge Custom Custom with four connectors.

The guitar was noisy, specially when not touching strings. As this might be a grounding issue, I have disassembled everything, put new CTS 500k pots, shielded with copper tape, redone all wiring including the wire that goes to the bridge claws.
What I did not replace: Jack and switch.

The guitar is still noisy, loud hum when not touching the strings and a little hum when touching. To compare, I have a PRS SE that makes no noise at all.

So, could you guys help me figuring this out? maybe I need new jack and switch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A problem is the unsplittable '59, how are you wiring the switch for position 4? You really need 4 conductor pickups on an HSH guitar.
Position 4 he stays active with the single coil. Do you think that this might cause the hum?! Because it happens in all positions, most noticeable in positions 1, 3 and 5.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The best thing to do is post a photo of the wiring in the control cavity so we can see it clearly, it sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere, simply throwing random new parts at it won't make any difference, are you sure the switch itself is ok, try cleaning it up with contact cleaner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best thing to do is post a photo of the wiring in the control cavity so we can see it clearly, it sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere, simply throwing random new parts at it won't make any difference, are you sure the switch itself is ok, try cleaning it up with contact cleaner.
Thanks man! The problem was the jack, I twisted it a little bit yesterday and the noise was gone. I'll replace it tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the noise continues. I only notice when I play at home because my building energy is dirty, at the studio where I play it is OK. But, my other guitar is quieter at home.

So, as I have replaced pots, wires and jack, and also took the guitar to a luthier to check and he said it is fine, could the source of the noise be the pickups? They are Duncan 59 neck single wire, stock Ibanez single middle 2 wires, Duncan Custom bridge 4 wires.

I was thinking about disconnecting one by one to see if I can isolate the problem, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Are the control cavity and pickguard shielded? I'm still not happy with the '59 being a two-wire pickup on a switch designed to split the coils, are you jumpering the hot lead so it's active in positions 4 & 5 then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are shielded with copper tape.
Yes, active in positions 4 (with the single coil) and 5.

The noise is the same in all positions.

·
Registered
547 Posts
They are shielded with copper tape.
Yes, active in positions 4 (with the single coil) and 5.

The noise is the same in all positions.
The shielding is actually connected with its own separate earth wire? The trem claw earth wire is connected and everything is all earthed to everything else? Check this with a meter from the jack socket sleeve to every single earthed part of the guitar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shielding is actually connected with its own separate earth wire? The trem claw earth wire is connected and everything is all earthed to everything else? Check this with a meter from the jack socket sleeve to every single earthed part of the guitar.
No, the shielding is not wired, will do that.
Everything else is wired.
Will do the meter test.

What do you think about the pickups, could they be noisy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I'm saying everything was already well grounded. I just confirmed it with the meter. I also sanded the part of the trem springs that touch the claw and the brass block.

If only a single pickup had an issue, would it be heard only when it is selected or would it affect the overall system?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, after checking everything and sanding the coat out of the springs, it is better.
I have also changed the power outlet where I plug my amp, the energy in my building is very bad. This made the biggest improvement.

In the future I will consider replacing the pickups, but for now it is fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts