Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently been hunting for an older Japanese RG model and have come across a 2003 Ibanez RG3120TW for $800 AUD, this is roughly $590US.

Condition wise its very nice with only a few small marks on the rear.

I recently noticed that the 2003 models have the edge pro trem rather than the edge or lo-pro.

I noticed that the edge/lo-pro equipped models seem to be more popular, so would this be considered a good price?

Opinions please, I'm not sure whether to get it or keep looking...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'd snag it - the 3120 is one of the nicest models Ibanez made in the late 90s-early 00s (there are J. Customs which have used identical specs).

Yes, the Edge/Lo Pro guitars tend to be more desirable, but the EP is fine (just hardcore Ibz nuts prefer the old trems). For that money, I'd get it, also considering you're in Australia, where imported guitars are more expensive by default. In general, prices on used Ibanez have gone up, so might be wiser to pull the trigger on something you like the look of which is reasonable $$.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The edge pro is just as good as the edge or the loPro. (I have all three).
With one exception. The edge pro coincided with the period where Ibanez stopped using locking stud posts for a while. If you don't have locking studs you get very slightly less tuning stability and it can get worse over time in some guitars (definitely not all).

If you care about this minor difference a pair of locking trem studs is cheap and easy to buy and install as an upgrade. IbanezRules site has the tutorial.

If you like everything else get it. If you think the trem isn't performing perfectly once you've set it up then consider this later on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.